Chapter One

"Alright, what do you think of this one?" I asked, stepping out from behind the dressing screen. My hands self-consciously flitted down the dress, smoothing it out and tugging at the lace border.

John cocked his head slightly, looking the outfit up and down as he smiled. "You look very pretty."

I groaned, dramatically collapsing beside him on my mattress. He stood immediately, more aware than I of the potential scandal us being on a bed together could cause, despite the fact that him and I had been friends since childhood. 

"You have said that about the last three dresses!" I complained, glaring as he turned to look at me once more. "Have you no real opinion?"

But John shrugged. "I thought they all looked quite nice on you."

Sometimes having such a kind best friend was absolutely infuriating. Not quite as infuriating as the bustling of the maids around the room, though, who were trying to act as if they were not eavesdropping on our conversation. While I knew it would be improper for John and I to be alone in a bedroom at our age, they did not have to be so conspicuous.

"I do not see why you are so worried," John admitted, coming to stand behind me as I held different necklaces up in front of the vanity to see which looked best. In childhood, my best friend had been a whole head shorter than me. He was tall and lean now, and I hardly reached his shoulder as he eyed the lace of my collar. "First of all, do you truly think your Mother will allow you to choose your own dress? She is probably having one made for you. Besides, you have known both of them since we were just children. They have seen you at your worst- do you not remember how embarrassing you used to be?"

Despite myself, I smiled as my best friend jokingly shoved his shoulder into mine. Both John and I had been born into poverty. We had become the best of friends- siblings, for all intents and purposes- through a mutual need for survival, and we had worked together to steal and beg in childhood. It was not until I was about seven and he was near five that we had both been adopted into wealthy, noble families. 

His ascension into nobility had been far more graceful than my own. He was naturally respectful and soft-spoken. I was far more... bold, I supposed, than what was expected of a proper lady.

"Mother wants this to be my first real introduction into high society," I admitted. My hands were restless, fidgeting first with the frills of the dress and then with my necklace before moving up to pull away a loose strand of hair that was falling into my face from yanking the dress over my head without help.

John's face took on a confused expression. "Meli, you were introduced into society years ago- they held a whole ball for it, remember? I specifically remember that I was not invited."

I laughed- John had not yet been adopted at that point, and we had been separated for many painful weeks after I had come to live with Lord and Lady Baldwin. He had kept it as a running joke that he was not certain I was a member of high society, because he had never witnessed such an introduction. He was one of the rare few to still use my nickname from our time on the streets.

My smile faded, though- there was nothing amusing about my situation. My eyes looked towards the maids in the mirror. They were not too close by. I lowered my voice. "No, John, I mean... I mean a proper introduction. As a... well, as a..."

I could not bring myself to say it. My cheeks warmed, and I sighed, hiding my face in my hands. 

It took John several moments to understand the meaning behind my words. He let out a single, disbelieving chuckle before his tone became more serious. "As a debutant? Amelia, you cannot be serious."

I nodded slightly, keeping my face hidden.

"But you are... you!" John argued, and I peeked up just in time to see him waving a hand up and down, gesturing to me in entirety. "Are they really foolish enough to think this will work?"