Chapter Seven

I laid across the sofa in the drawing room, trying to read as Elizabeth did her best to write a letter to Count Robert. Eli and John had stopped by for a visit, and as such, they were in the room, as well. Michael was sat on the window seat beside John, as Eli leaned over Elizabeth's shoulder to see what she was writing.

"Felix, why are you reading my sister's love letter?" Michael asked, glancing up from where him and Michael were fiddling with a globe- they were debating the places one simply must visit before they die. I thought it was all silly- I wanted a little property outside the hustle and bustle of the city, and I wanted to stay there. 

Elizabeth sighed, dropping her quill. The steel nib clacked against the wood of the table.

"Love letter!" She scoffed, throwing her hair over her shoulder to get it out of the way. "I am only writing it because Mother demands it- Count Robert has already sent two bouquets this week, so I must send something in return. This letter though... ugh! I have written poems more romantic than this."

Michael made a face, theatrically covering his ears and quickly turning back to the globe as John turned it. "I want to know nothing of your poems," He muttered, disgusted.

My sister just groaned. "What is one to say to a man you are arranged to marry but do not know at all?"

"Tell him that you like his eyes," I suggested, trying to hide my smile at the way he had been charmed by little Charlotte's compliment. "Or send him some bluebells. I bet he would like that."

Elizabeth glared at me, assuming that I was teasing her. "Amelia, do not be ridiculous. Men do not care for flowers. And his eyes- what an awkward thing to say! I do not even know what color his eyes are- do you?"

"Green." It was only after everyone turned to stare at me that I realized it had been a rhetorical question, and that it was strange for me to know such a thing. Looking down at my book to hide my blush, I tried to keep my voice relaxed. "Did you not notice? I did immediately- I suppose he is of Irish or Scottish descent. That is always important to note when courting- it means any children you have will likely burn easily in the sun."

Elizabeth choked, despite not having reached for the glass of water just beside her letter. "Amelia! Do not talk of children! Are you mad?"

I breathed a sigh of relief, glad that I had somehow avoided an interrogation. "I'm sorry, you're right. It was just what came to mind. Perhaps ask him if he prefers strolls or tea- that will give you some idea as to what the two of you should do."

She nodded, exhaling and wringing one of her curls around her finger. "Yes. I should ask about him- show that I am interested. Good idea, Amelia."

I thought it best not to mention that I was genuinely interested in what his answer to that question might be.

As Elizabeth set back to work, Mother came in, setting the vase of roses that Count Robert had sent to my sister on the desk just beside her. Then she turned to Michael, John and I. "Elizabeth needs to focus- why don't you lot go on out to the garden?"

Though I had already spent a good part of my day reading, drawing, and working on my French lessons out in the garden, I could hear in my Mother's tone that it was not truly a request. So I stood, following the boys outside.

My brother hurried ahead of us- likely to find a rugby ball, so him and John could play. While Michael was generally very liberal about the boy-activities that I could partake in with him, I knew that he would draw the line at rugby- it was too physical, and both him and John outweighed me by too much. They had played more roughly with me in childhood, before they had come of age and suddenly outgrown me in size seemingly overnight.