Chapter Seventeen

Several days had passed, with still no word from Elizabeth or Eli. It took two days for the household to settle down, and two more beyond that for Father to be assured enough in Mother's health to head back to the school.

Lord Robert began to stop in as soon as Father returned to the school, making use of his freetime now that he was relieved from watching the schoolchildren. He was very formal with me, though there was little choice with eyes on us- Thomas and Susanna were staying in the home for the time being, as Thomas was worried for the family now that Elizabeth had run off and Mother had been so hysterical during her episode.

"Your Father is doing well," Lord Robert assured Thomas, Susanna and I. We were seated in the drawing room- I had been reading as Thomas sat beside his wife while she played the piano on the opposite end of the room. I set my book down and made my way over to hear the conversation. "He has hired several teachers now, and though he is still interviewing Headmasters, the bunch looks promising. He has already informed them that he will be arriving unannounced for weekly inspections, and none of the candidates seemed weary of this. Though he is so taken with the children, I presume he will be around very often, as is."

"Good," I said, restraining myself from reaching for his hand as I wished to. "We must be far more vigilant this time around- we cannot leave the hiring process up to the Headmaster again, and we must never announce formal evaluations. Those children must never be mistreated in such a way again."

Robert met my gaze solemnly. "They never will."

I heard the oath in his words, and wondered if he had already spoken to my father about taking on a permanent role within the school. After a few moments of our eyes remaining connected, I forced my gaze away, hoping nobody had noticed the only kind of intimacy we could allow ourselves in such a setting.

"Thank you for your discretion," Thomas said suddenly, steering the conversation in a new direction. Robert and I both turned to look at him. "About Elizabeth, I mean. Word of her elopement getting out..."

He did not finish his sentence, no doubt feeling too conceited to go on. But, despite our worries for Elizabeth, and that fact that she had not sent word to us, Thomas' point was valid.

If word got out about what Elizabeth had done- running off unescorted with a boy of no Title, with the intent to wed- our whole family could be ruined. Father could lose any business dealings. Mother would be cast out of her social circle, Michael and I would struggle to find suitors, and Thomas was perhaps the most concerning of all- despite how close he was with his family, despite the protective love he held for us, he would be forced to pull away from us if word got out of what had happened.

If he did not, he would pulled down with us. As would Susanna, and any children they may one day have. I would have to pull away from Charlotte, as well, and perhaps even John, to save them from the same social ruin by allowing them to mingle with me. Father would have to transfer ownership of the school to someone, as well, lest the children be punished when the donations stopped coming in because the Father of the girl whom had created such scandal was the one managing the funds.

It was a cruel, materialistic, classist world that we lived in. That was something we could not change. So we simply had to do what we could to remain vague of where Elizabeth was and what had happened. So far, there had been no questions, but I knew they would come soon enough. Her absence at balls and tea gatherings would only go unnoticed for so long.

"I would never say a word," Robert promised, his eyes moving from Thomas to Susanna and then finally to me, where they rested. "I would never do anything to bring harm to your family- you must believe that."