Chapter Twenty-One

"There will have to be a proper wedding ceremony, of course," Mother said, leaning forward slightly in her seat. "Even if it is but a small one, it will need to be done quickly."

She eyed the way that Eli had his arm slung across Elizabeth's shoulder. I knew that Mother hoped to hide the fact that the two of them were wed until we could put on an act of actually wedding them, but she also knew that she could not ask them to hide their affections for one another when they were already joined as one in the eyes of God.

That would not be enough to stop the rumors, though, nor the whispers were Elizabeth to fall pregnant too soon after the public wedding ceremony. If Elizabeth and Eli wished to remain as accepted members within the general society that we all lived in, we would need to act fast.

"You could wear my wedding dress," Susanna suggested, leaning forward intently as she spoke to my sister. "I am only a bit taller than you, Elizabeth- I would not mind if you hemmed it up a bit. The dress will likely need to be altered, anyway, if any future daughters I have wish to wear it."

Elizabeth nodded, and I once again found myself amazed. My sister had spent our childhoods planning out every detail of her wedding- down to the type of frosting she wanted the petals of the flowers on her cake to be decorated with. She had planned out every aspect, every trivial and mundane factor- all that had been left unknown was whom it would be that she married.

And now that Elizabeth had found that final factor- the one she desired to be with- it was like all the rest did not matter. All she wanted now was Eli.

My gaze traveled across the room to my Robin, and as he discreetly met my gaze with a slight smile, I decided that I understood very well what my sister was feeling. It was not the materialistic things that mattered. Not anymore.

Robert suddenly glanced away from me and I frowned. But then I turned to the left and saw that Mother was looking my way, following my gaze towards Robert. It seemed that, in all the commotion of Elizabeth returning, she had forgotten that the Earl was present.

I could tell from the expression on her face what she was going to say before she even opened her mouth to speak.

"Oh, Count Robert, I am so sorry," Mother said. She looked positively mortified as her gaze traveled back to where my sister was perched just beside Eli, looking quite comfortable beside him. "I know Elizabeth was intended to wed you- please understand, none of this was meant as a person slander to you..."

Mother trailed off, suddenly seeming to realize that the wedding ceremony we would be putting on for the benefit of the public eye would mean absolutely nothing if Robert went out and began to tell people of the truth. Perhaps better than anyone, Mother knew how quickly gossip could spread in the noble society.

Very often, she was one of the ones spreading such rumors.

Seeing the horrified look on Mother's face, Robert held up a hand. "Lady Baldwin, please- I take no insult. I actually meant to bring up the very topic of marriage."

I felt my eyes widen in understanding as Robert stood. He did not heed the anxiety in my gaze as he passed me by- he only winked. And then, before my brothers and sister and even my two new siblings-in-law, Robert came to pause before Mother and Father.

My Father paused mid-sentences in his conversation with Eli, looking up at the Earl

My bold Robert only smiled back. "Lord Baldwin- I know this may come as a bit of a surprise. But I have been among you and your relations for a time now, and have come to find peace and happiness to the likes of which I never knew to exist before."