Chapter Twenty

I already had a story made up in my mind- I had been in the gardens of the school when I had spotted Elizabeth, and with all the emotions caused from the reunion, Lord Robert had heard the commotion and come to see what it was all about. That way, I would not be accused of being alone with him when it was questioned why he was in the carriage with Eli, Elizabeth and I.

I was not sure how I would go about not incriminating Charlotte, whom had told Elizabeth I was at the school when she had spotted Elizabeth sneaking through the garden beneath the window to the bedroom my sister and I had shared for almost our entire lives. Inevitably, it would be asked how Elizabeth had known I was at the school, and to that, I had no good answer prepared.

The questions never came, though. As soon as the door opened, Michael looked past me and caught sight of his twin- once again, he was sitting with John just inside the Front Parlor, working on creating a second or third or perhaps fourth version of the music box they had made before.

Michael surged to his feet, bypassing both me and Robert, and shouldering Eli to the side as he swept Elizabeth up, shouting her name and swinging her around. The sound startled Emily awake from where she had laid sleeping in her brother's arms, but Robert hushed her, pressing her head back down against his shoulder and assuring her that everything was alright.

Thomas and Susanna surged out of the dining room at the sound of Michael's shouts, and Mother came rushing down the stairs so quickly I feared she may fall. Luckily, father caught up to her, and even in his haste he kept an eye on her and made certain she was steady on her feet before they, too, joined the mass of hugs and tears and greetings.

Mother was openly weeping, for once not concerned with formality and propriety and etiquette as she held Elizabeth close. I saw a flash of movement from the top floor, and glanced up to the banister and saw Miss Lancing standing there, smiling down at the display. Though hard to tell from this distance, I was almost certain that those were tears I saw her wiping away.

"Where have you been?" Mother demanded, pulling away to look at Elizabeth once more. As if overwhelmed by the sight of her face, Mother burst into tears again, yanking Elizabeth back into yet another embrace. "Oh, my child!"

It was several minutes before anyone even took note of Eli, whom was almost hiding behind the still-open door. Thomas was the one to notice him first, though I assumed that was only because he was the most controlled of the bunch and had been thinking that he should move to close the door so the neighbors would not take note of our chaotic and improper display.

My eldest brother put a gentle hand on my shoulder, moving me carefully to the side so he could pass me by. He glanced at Robert, and then looked beyond him, waiting until he had caught Michael's eye. When Michael's attention had been obtained, he passed me by as well, and I felt anxiety grip me as my brothers both herded Eli outside and closed the door.

I went to follow after them, determined not to allow them to hurt my childhood friend and new brother-in-law, but Robert put a hand on my shoulder.

"You stay here with your parents, alright?" He said, looking down at me. I bit my lip, uncertain.

Robert leaned a bit closer, scanning the room to make sure that my parent's eyes were not on us. They were fully distracted- as was Susannah, who had not seemed to notice her husband slip out of the room with Michael.

 My Robin had not noted Miss Lancing standing above the lot of us, I supposed, gazing down at the scene. He leaned in even closer, and my breath caught as I tried to whisper a warning.

He breathed a reassurance my way, already reaching for the door. "Elizabeth needs you right now. I will do all I can to keep Eli from harm. Trust me."

And I did. So I allowed him hand Emily over to my care and make his way out of the door, watching as he opened and then closed it again behind him.