Chapter Six

"Amelia!"

I had been in the garden by myself for upwards of an hour when I heard my name being called- I recognized the young voice immediately, and stood from my seat on the bench. 

As expected, it was Charlotte, Clara and Cordelia's younger sister. While I did not particularly like the twins, I did not hold it against Charlotte- despite being several years younger than me, the girl had been one of my very first friends in the world of nobility. 

Charlotte was being escorted by her Mother, who I assumed was stopping by unannounced to chat with my Mother- perhaps she had heard that the Earl was here and, like her two oldest daughters, was always in the mood for gossip.

Charlotte's mother had long ago given up on scolding her youngest daughter for bothering me- I had always insisted that Charlotte was no bother, and was always welcome to spend time with me. Despite nearing 14 years of age now, Charlotte skipped her way over to me. In truth, everything about the girl was childish- her bouncy curls, her constant dimples as she smiled, her excitable and bubbly nature.

I was glad she had not matured to be like the other girls near her age- the ones who did just as their mother did, gossiping and mocking and whispering in an attempt to make themselves feel better. Charlotte knew who she was and what she liked- and did not care if her doll collection was more suited for a girl several years younger, or if her dress rode up a bit as she raced across green fields.

She was like me in a lot of ways. Part of me wondered how much my influence had caused that- we had, undeniably, spent a large amount of time together in childhood. Even now, I was the older girl she looked up to- the one that treated her nicely, unlike her sisters- and she hung on to every word that I said.

Another part of me hoped that this was not the case. Apparently, I had already created an obstacle for myself by being too immature and unladylike. I truly hoped that I had not damaged this beautiful young girl in the same way. The world we lived in was simply too judgemental, too cruel, for such notable personalities among young ladies.

As I had suspected, they must have come because her Mother had heard that Elizabeth was formally courting someone- Charlotte looked all around to make sure we were alone, and then leaned in close anyway. "I heard there is an Earl here!"

I grinned at her excitement. "There is. Molly already tried to... well, you know Molly."

Charlotte nodded dramatically. "Yes, but I wish I did not."

We both laughed, and I sat back on the bench, moving over so the younger girl could sit beside me. Charlotte was always such an easy person to speak to- not quite a child, so she did not need things censored very much, and not quite a young lady, so there was no judgement or resentment as I spoke. I could talk freely and without fear.

For what must have been near half of an hour, we just sat and chatted. I spoke of Molly's attempts to disgrace me by bringing up my adoption, and Charlotte assured me that there was nothing disgraceful about me. Then she asked if I knew how to braid a French plait. I informed her that I did not, and she told me gleefully that a relative from France had visited recently and taught her. She would teach me, and then we would be the talk of every event, brandishing a brand new hairstyle that nobody else in England knew of.

I informed her that the very last thing I wanted was to be the talk of every event. After a few moments of thought, she agreed, but began to show me how to make the plait nonetheless. 

"Ladies," A male voice greeted, and both Charlotte and I startled, looking up. Count Robert stood before us, having just stepped out from behind a wide bush. 

Charlotte was on her feet at once, grinning widely as she curtsied. "Sir- are you the Earl?"

Count Robin grinned, his eyes moving between us. "I am. I suppose you have heard of me?"