Chapter Eleven

Father was beside himself when he arrived at the school. I had never seen him cry before, but tears were streaming down his face as he watched the Doctor go from child to child, assessing varying issues caused by open wounds, untreated injuries, or malnutrition.

"I don't understand," Father kept repeating, going back and forth between pacing and sitting. "I just don't understand."

He shoved up from his seat once more, looking very much like he wanted to intervene as the Doctor re-broke one of the young boy's fingers that had been left untreated and healed out of place, leaving it disformed. The boy cried out, but the doctor was quick about it, quickly setting the finger in place with a stick and bandage to heal properly.

Eli had already taken Elizabeth home. In the grief and frenzy, nobody had seemed to note that it was a bit inappropriate for her to be escorted by a man of his age whom was unwed. He had simply been the one to step forward and make the offer when she had paled at the sound of the children wailing and shrieking as disinfectant was pressed against their swollen wounds and the skin was cut open to remove pus and toxins. Lottie, along with several other children, had already been bandaged up and put to bed.

"I conducted weekly inspections." Father whispered to himself, plopping down in the seat with his head in his hands. I reached for his arm, but he remained stiff as a little girl cried in fear before the doctor had even touched her. "I personally went about to raise donations. I held annual clothing charity events, toy charity events, I bought countless books, I sent in treats for the children every Sunday. I sat in on lessons and had men come to the grounds to attach swings to trees and to build see-saw planks for them to play on. And still- still- I failed these children. All of them."

I swallowed hard, struggling to stay composed. Father was always the strong one. It was difficult to try and take on that role for him, but I could see he was simply unable to stay composed in that moment.

"You are a good man, Father," I assured him, rubbing his arm. The little girl had no severe wounds, and was smiling slightly as the doctor offered her a piece of hard candy. "You try to do what is best for everyone- to see the best in everyone. I suppose some people simply have no good at all in them, though. Bentley is just an evil person, Father. An evil person who was very skilled at pretending to be good."

Father nodded. He looked tired as he glanced about the room. There was still a line of children waiting to be seen. "You go on home, Amelia." Father insisted. "Take the carriage and everyone else with you."

I looked over my shoulder at where Robert, John, and Michael were. They were near a group of small children, clearly trying to cheer them up with whatever conversation they were having. "What of you, Father?"

"Tell your Mother I will be home in several days... weeks, perhaps. I will not fail these children again- I will stay with them and care for them myself until I find someone I am sure is capable of the task."

I frowned. Putting out a call could take days within itself- the arrival of those being considered, and the interviews themselves, would take far longer. While I knew that what my father was saying was necessary, I was a bit hesitant to be the one to tell Mother of it.

Robert overheard and stood, stepping towards us. "Don't worry over it, Sir. I'll stop in daily to make certain that your wife is doing well, and bring word back to you."

"I couldn't put you out." Despite Father's words, I saw the way his shoulders relaxed a bit at the offer. He, too, worried over Mother now that she was getting on in age.

Waving a hand, Robert dismissed the thought. "Not at all. It would be my honor."

With few more parting words, the lot of us turned to head outside. With Elizabeth and Eli having already left, the carriage was not as crowded, and Robert was seated just beside me as Michael and John chatted to one another.

I felt Robert's eyes on me for a bit before he spoke. "Lady Amelia, are you alright?"

Both my brother and best friend went quiet at the question, their eyes flying to me as if they expected to find me bleeding out. I wondered if I still looked a bit pale. I took a deep breath and sat up a bit straighter. "Yes, My Lord. Thank you."

Michael shifted in his seat, sighing and leaning forward to take my hands. "Amelia, I'm sorry. I should have listened to you about the school."

I smiled, though truly, we had been several months, or perhaps even years, too late in responding to the issues at the school. "I do not blame you, Michael. I had no proof."

"And yet you were right. You see things that others do not- you have lived through things that we have not. I should not have discredited you so."

Unsure of exactly what to say, I just smiled at my brother. I knew it must be embarrassing for him to make such an apology before Count Robert, and the fact that he was doing so meant he must have felt immensely guilty. I squeezed his hands in mine. "Thank you for bringing me here today."

I looked at Robert out of the corner of my eye, hoping he understood that my words were meant for him, too. He had been the one to orchestrate all of this. 

I saw him nod slightly, and after several moments of silence, he began to speak. "I had a thought- Michael, tell me what you think of it."

My brother released my hands and sat up straight, meeting the gaze of the Earl. "Sir?"

"Have you ever considered a school exhibition?"

Michael's brow furrowed, as I'm sure mine did, as well. "An exhibition, Sir?"

"Yes. A festival, of sorts, held at the school. Food, games, prizes, things of that sort. The children could sing songs and put on puppet shows, adults could set up game booths and offer treats and little trinkets as prizes for games won. It could double both as the community meeting the children so they could be considered for formal adoption, as well as part of an interviewing process for any teachers or staff members being hired for the school. It could be observed how they interact with children before hiring them."

While my brother pondered the suggestion, I turned eagerly to Count Robert. "Oh, the children would just love that!"

I could already envision it so clearly in my mind- the hurt and anger and fear of the children melting away for just a few hours as, for the first time in their lives, they got to truly act as children. The adults and those of my age who had grown up alongside the first batch of street-children, coming together and truly getting to know this new generation of children who needed help. A day of laughter and games and camaraderie.

"We could set up a bubble stand," I said, painting a picture in my mind. "We could pitch tents up outside, and hold the festivities there. We could have a barrel of soapy water and straws and pipes for the children to blow bubbles with. And Michael, you could set up a hoop and stick relay for the children. And we could bring in the ponies from Father's country properties and offer the children rides..."

Count Robert laughed, pulling me out of my rambling. "It seems the Lady likes the idea," He jested, glancing at my brother as my face warmed. "It is decided, then. I shall bring it up to your father when I ride to him tomorrow to assure him everyone is getting along well."

And as Michael turned back to John to begin discussing the possibility of wooden swords being created for the older boys to hold a mock tournaments, Lord Robert and I looked to each other, exchanging a smile that would have been a bit too intimate to be acceptable had anyone noticed.

But nobody did. And that just made the moment feel all the more sweet.