ch. eight

"It's okay Sasha, I've got you," I reassured while holding her hair back as she threw up in the grass. Luckily it was dark so I couldn't see... the mess.

"I'm sorry," she cried, sniffling.

"Stop, don't apologize. It's okay I promise. Let it out, it's alright." I rubbed her back as she threw up a few more times. Finally, after a few minutes, she was okay.

"Do you want me to walk you to your room?" I offered.

"No it's okay, Conny said he would since he's going to his room as well. Thank you Y/N," Sasha hugged me tightly, and we both wobbled. I was still highly drunk, but Sasha needed me, so I was here.

"Okay. I'll come check on you later. And don't thank me, I love you." I giggled, tapping her nose.

"I love you more."

I watched Sasha as she walked away, wrapping her arm around Conny's as they made their way back to their rooms.

Then suddenly, I heard a ruckus that began getting louder and louder. I stumbled towards the noise, seeing a group of people forming. I pushed past them, gaining some glares in return but I didn't care.

Soon, Jean came into view. I smiled when I saw him, but then it was wiped clean from my face when I saw the blood dripping from his face, and when I saw Eren's fist aimed directly for his jaw.

Everyone gasped when his fist connected with Jean's face, and he fell to the ground hard. Eren jumped on top of him, punching him over and over again. Armin was yelling for him to stop, and Mikasa was just standing there watching.

I was too drunk to know what to do. Tears formed in my eyes at the sight in front of me. Some people were cheering for Eren, and others were urging Jean to get back up.

I ran forwards, hearing Armin's protests, but I kept going until I reached them, and began pulling on Eren.

"Stop! Eren, stop!" I screamed.

"Get off of me!" Eren spat, pulling his arm out of my grip. Reiner was pulling me away, and I couldn't fight him off. God, why did I have to drink?

"Reiner please, stop him." I begged, trying to pry his hands off of me.

"You know there's no stopping them once they start, Y/N." he said, tightening his grip on me.

I looked over, meeting Mikasa's dark eyes. "Do something!"

Mikasa remained silent, and a moment later, walked up to Reiner and me. "Let go of her, Reiner."

"But-"

"She said let go," Krista frowned at him, Ymir right behind her. Reiner sighed, letting me go, and I ran towards Eren and Jean once again. Why wasn't anyone helping?

"Dammit Eren, just stop!" I pulled and pulled until he fell backwards. Jean laid there motionless, his eyes rolling to the back of his head.

"Help Jean, someone help him." I sobbed. Ymir was quickly by my side, lifting Jean up. He was limp when Ymir helped him up, and Reiner threw him over his shoulder and looked at me.

"I'll take care of him. You settle shit with Eren." Reiner nodded at me, and I saw Ymir and Krista follow him as he walked away.

I turned towards Eren, seeing him still on the ground. His knuckles were bloodied, his lip was cut and there was a gash in his cheek. Still, he didn't look nearly as injured as Jean did. Eren's gaze was stuck to the ground, his expression hard.

"Get up." I demanded. Eren looked up at me, making his face now blank.

"Get the fuck up. Now."

"Y/N," Mikasa put a hand on my shoulder, but I moved away from her, glaring, and focused back on Eren.

He was now standing up, looking directly at me. "What?"

"We need to talk," I put my hands on my hips.

"No we-"

"Yes we do. You know it. God I can't believe you." I cut him off, grabbing his wrist and pulling him with me as we walked away from the dispersing crowd.

"Y/N, stop." Eren groaned.

"No!" I turned towards him angrily. "Why do you keep acting this way? And picking pointless fights?"

"It's not always just me! Why do you keep defending him?" Eren rolled his eyes.

"He was the one bloodied on the ground, wasn't he?" I yelled. "Give me an explanation right now. I'm so sick and tired of the way you keep acting. Drunk or not, you shouldn't have done that."

"He tries to purposely get on my nerves, Y/N. I'm not gonna sit around and let him do it."

"You could be fucking mature for once, maybe? Ignore him? You always have to feed into it. Walk away. God knows you're good at that," I scoff.

"What does that mean?" Eren narrowed his green eyes at me.

"You know exactly what it means," I narrowed my eyes right back at him. "Actually. Never mind. I don't have time to sit here and fuss at you like you're a toddler." I turned away and began walking.

"But you have the time to go check on Jean, right? Isn't that what you're doing?"

"Yes! Because unlike you, he actually treats me good. He doesn't leave me hanging. He doesn't ignore me for years. He isn't you." I yelled, facing him again. I saw Eren swallow hard, I saw how his body language began to change.

"I'm done here, Eren. This is my last time trying to reach out to you. I'm fucking done," I sigh, my voice cracking. A tear fell from my eye, but I turned away from him quickly so he wouldn't see.

Then suddenly, I was being pushed up against a wall. Eren's face was an inch away, our noses grazing each other, his eyes boring into mine. I gasped, my breath becoming quicker.

"Move, Eren," I whispered, pushing at his chest. He wasn't budging.

"You're right. He isn't me. Jean isn't me and you know it." he said lowly, the scent of alcohol on his breath. What is Eren trying to insinuate?

"I'm glad," I lied behind gritted teeth. Everything inside of me wanted to spill out the truth, to tell him everything I've been feeling since the day he left me. Jean really isn't Eren, and no matter how much I try to imagine that he is... Jean doesn't even compare.

"Don't say that," Eren frowned. "Please Y/N, don't say that."

"It's the truth." I lied again.

Eren's grip on me loosened. He slowly backed away from me, shock in his green eyes. I swallowed the lump in my throat that formed from seeing his expression.

"I'm glad we're not friends anymore. You've... changed. And I don't like it. So do me a favor and stay away from me like you've been doing. I won't bother you anymore, trust me," I laughed dryly. "I'm gonna go check on Jean now. I'm done with this pointless conversation. I should've known better."

And then I walked away, clenching my chest tightly as silent tears streamed down my face as the memory of Eren's pained expression infiltrated every single thought of mine.

I didn't go check on Jean that night.