ch. twenty-eight

I woke up the next morning bright and early, knowing that's what Levi would prefer so his job for me could get done faster.

"You look beautiful," Eren commented as his eyes were glued to me while I got ready. I glanced at him over my shoulder, sending him a smile after tugging my jacket on.

"Thank you, Eren." I made my way over him as he laid sprawled out on my bed. I wrapped my arms around his neck, kissing him.

"Please let me come with you, Y/N," he begged, resting his forehead on mine.

I tucked the hair behind his ear. "I wish I could let you, but it isn't up to me, Eren. Captain Levi wants me to go alone."

"Could you talk to him then? Ask?"

"He'd be upset that I even mentioned it to you. I can't ask."

"Pretend you didn't. Say you don't feel comfortable going alone. Especially Underground, Y/N. Hell, even I don't feel comfortable with you going alone."

I lifted my forehead off his and looked into his green eyes, kissing the tip of his nose gently. "Eren. I'll be fine. As soon as I'm back, you'll hear from me. Okay? Don't worry too much."

Eren sighed, rolling over on his back and closing his eyes, staying silent for a few moments. "Okay. Fine. Just be safe, please. I love you so much, my Rose."

I smiled, snuggling him for the last moments I had before heading to Levi's office. "I love you more."

. . .

I knocked on Captain Levi's door, slightly anxious for the job he was giving me. The only information that I had about it was that it was Underground.

Levi let me in, closing the door behind him, offering me the seat in front of his desk. I sat down, watching as he did too, taking a sip of his steaming tea.

"Morning, Y/N."

"Good morning, Captain."

"So," he began. "This is more of a personal task I'm asking of you. I'm trusting you spoke nothing of this to anyone?"

I nodded, "I understand, sir. And of course not."

"Good," he hummed. "I have an uncle there. He's a bit of a problem. I have suspicions that he's up to something, and I need you to track him down. Keep a close eye on him from afar. Come back and report to me in five days. Understood?"

"Yes, sir."

"Alright. I've got a picture of him for you to be able to recognize him. I've also got a map for you. Areas are circled to show you where I've heard he goes to most. Some places he probably hadn't visited in years. I haven't been there in so long, so I have no way to be updated on his whereabouts. Just be safe, Y/N. He isn't a good man, and he's dangerous. He's an Ackerman. Keep your eyes open at all times. Do not let him notice you. I planned on letting you go alone because I trust you can get the job done and save your ass if need be. But I can send others with you if you'd like."

"I can do it alone, sir. I'll make sure to keep an eye on his every move."

"I'd hope so. You leave in three hours. Pack what you need, I'll have a horse ready for you," he handed me the information I needed.

"Yes, sir. Thank you," I stood up, heading to the door.

"See you in five days," Levi spoke.

"See you in five days," I repeated, shutting the door.

. . .

Eren was standing at the horse stables, a sad smile on his face as I made my way to him.

"From the look on your face, I'm assuming Levi isn't okay with me going?"