ch. twenty-two

EREN

I sat at the table with Mikasa and Armin, my eyes glued to Y/N. She was smiling and laughing brighter and louder than I had seen in a long time. Sasha had finally come out of her room and talking more than she had the past few days. I could see Y/N trying to cheer her up the best she could.

My eyes glanced to Jean, seeing him with his chin resting in the palm of his hand as he watched Y/N, almost in awe. I balled my hands into fists, my nails digging into my skin. I know I had no reason to be jealous -- her and I maturely talked about the situation she's in with him, and I understand.

How could I be mad at her? I have absolutely no right. She moved onto a guy that gave her everything I wasn't. I'm the one that pushed myself back into her life despite what I knew about them. I need to respect what she decides to do and who she decides to tell. However long it takes for her have that conversation with Jean is something I'm going to respect.

"Sasha looks like she's getting better," Mikasa said softly. I didn't even look at her. I felt too awkward knowing she has feelings for me. But, she hasn't thrown herself at me or brought it up since.

Armin nodded, closing his book to look at her, "I'm glad. I've never seen her so upset before."

My mind flashed to Niccolo. I was so angry with how he decided to treat her. She's one of the most genuine people you could ever meet, and she doesn't deserve Niccolo's unsureness. She was smiling, but it wasn't quite meeting her eyes. She was laughing, but not as loud as usual.

Y/N seemed to notice this as she studied her face as she was talking to Conny about something. I saw the concern flash in her eyes, the way her brows furrowed ever so slightly. She wrapped an arm around Sasha, causing her to shoot her a smile and rest her head on Y/N's shoulder.

My Rose is so caring... always has been. There's no one she wouldn't befriend, no one she wouldn't try to take care of if she could. She's always been amazing at connecting with others and giving good advice. It's something I admired about her, a trait of hers that I truly fell in love with, all the way back when we were kids.

"I have to go meet Captain Levi," I spoke up. "Something about new training techniques that Hange wants me to try. I'll see you guys later."

"Let us know how it goes," Armin gave me a warm smile. I fluffed his hair playfully, and gave Mikasa a nod. As I began to walk away, I almost passed the table Y/N was sitting at. Before I did, I stopped behind her, causing everyone to stop speaking. All eyes were on me as Y/N turned to me, her big eyes looking into mine.

"Yes?" she asked hesitantly.

I shoved my hands into my pockets, "Can I talk to you?"

She nodded after a second, throwing a smile to everyone as she stood up, following me out the door. I grabbed her hand as soon as we were alone, shoving us into the nearest room and locking the door, pressing her against the wall as my lips found hers.

The taste of her damn near made me fall to my knees, her touch igniting a fire in me that had my entire body shuddering. I felt her hands grip at me, attempting to pull me in as close as humanly possible.

Her hands found their way up my shirt, running against my chest, almost trying to memorize the way I felt.

She broke the kiss, breathing heavily as I studied her flustered face. "I've wanted to do that all morning," she sighs contently.