Chapter 6

You walked a bit faster than your normal pace as you made your way down the street. You finally got to the cafe and noticed Denki an L-shaped corner booth. It could seat 4-5 people if you really wanted as well as some chairs at the other 2 sides of the table but it was usually just used as a 2-seater. A faint blush formed which confused you for a moment. Since when did you blush at this sort of thing? You didn't really have much time to think about it though; Denki noticed you and waved you over. Flashing him a smile, you walked over and sat down.

"You look nice" he complimented

"Thank you," you said sweetly "It's a bit different than what I normally wear."

"I prefer it," he chuckled "It's a good look on you."

A waitress came over with a notepad and asked about your orders. Denki got a slice of strawberry cake and a coffee that sounded suspiciously like a Starbucks order modified just enough to not sound like a foreign language. When she turned to you, you took a quick glance at the menu and ordered a slice of (f/f) cobbler with a glass of water. The music was playing low from the speakers on the ceiling. It was pretty but couldn't quite place the genre. It sounded close enough to pop but was slower and sung softer than the songs that typically came to mind when you think "pop". The waitress scribbled down the orders and scurried off to take orders from other tables. It was a nice cafe and did well financially but it always seemed a bit understaffed. A help wanted sign so old you remember it from long before many of the workers here was fit snugly into the thin groove between the large windows that made up the better portion of the building's walls and the pony wall beneath them.

"So, tell me about yourself," Denki smiled at you to break the silence

"Well, I typically work 3 nights a week. I've owned the club for-"

"No, no," he cut you off with a lighthearted laugh "I mean tell me about you. What do you like? Do you have any hobbies? The real you. The person you were before you started partying and giving up on yourself."

"Oh," you said, laughing as well but it was more awkward than his "You don't want to know about that part of my life."

"I do" he assured you

"Fine, fine, but you're not allowed to laugh at me. I was a bit of a nerd back then. I spent most of my time with my nose in some fantasy novel or volunteering at a local shelter playing with all the dogs and cats so they got enough exercise and affection. Not really much to sayI  other than that."

"I was never really a big reader in school. I couldn't concentrate long enough."

"I didn't really have anything else to concentrate on," you sighed "Nothing I wanted to at least. Books were a good distraction for a while but..."

"Only for so long," Denki finished with sympathetic eyes

"Yeah, I never really got the chance to do anything with my life before I died. When I got my second chance... well, I wasn't going to waste it being the same boring loser I was the first time."

"Well I for one would love the chance to see that 'boring loser'," Denki said in just the right tone to lighten the mood "Why don't I take you to do all those things you never got the chance to do?"

"What about your hero work?" you asked, appreciating the offer but not wanting to be in the way

"Let's just say you're not the only one running away from bad memories"

You frowned but before you can ask what he meant, the waitress set down your food and drinks. Just like that your opportunity to ask was gone as Denki back put on his usual smile and ate his cake as if nothing happened.