Chapter 7

Denki walked with you back to the hotel with a bit of extra pep in his step, happy about the extra few slices of cake he got to go. One was the strawberry and white chocolate cake he ate at the cafe, another was devil's food cake, and the last was a limited-time s'mores cake made. You got a slice of each to go as well. You had tried the regular two in the past but the s'mores one had only been out since yesterday so you hadn't gotten the chance to try it yet. It was a vanilla sponge cake with alternating filling layers of choclate ganache and marshmallow whip. a thick graham cracker crust like the one you would find in a pudding pie was at the bottom and sides. The chocolate ganache covered the crust on the sides, graham cracker crumbles over that, and top with dollops of cool whip on top of each slice. It honestly looked like heaven in carb form.

As you both walked, you couldn't help but think about what he said at the hotel. What did he mean? You hated the several horrible thoughts that came to mind but couldn't take your mind off the topic. The ding of the elevator you hadn't even realized you got on broke you from your spaced-out state and you instantly grabbed Denki's wrist as he stepped off.

"Did you forget-" he began to say but stopped when he noticed your sad expression "What's wrong?"

He stepped back onto the elevator and the metal doors closed quietly behind him. You didn't say anything but didn't let go of him either. After a minute of silence, you looked up at him like a kicked cat. You hated the feeling of not knowing what was going on as is but someone you were sort of starting to care about hurting and not knowing why was worse. Especially when you wanted to help but didn't know how.

"What did you mean in the cafe? About running away from bad memeories?"

"Ah... that" he said "Don't worry about it. I just needed a break from work is all."

He clearly didn't want to talk about it and you didn't blame either. It seemed really personaly and he barely knew you. As much as you wanted answers, you threw on convincing fake smile and moved off the topic. Fake it till you make it had been words you've lived by for centuries now so what was them harm in doing it again. You'd cheer up eventually but he needed it to be now so the least you could do was smile.

"Why don't we head up to my room and continue watching the show we started? It's nicer that any of the rentables."

"Yeah, that sounds good."