[2] J A W A D

J A W A D.

I love being alone. I find peace in solitary life. I pull the halter around Aqwa's neck-my favourite horse. His pace decelerates as we get closer to my favourite spot. Aqwa freezes and releases a loud neigh when we stand in front of the large Acacia tree. I slide down from Aqwa's back swiftly. My face comes in contact with his left side. I watch as his black oval eyelid close concealing his eyes, that little action placed a small smile on my face. I rub his mane, which I get a snort in return.

Aqwa has been my horse since I was 9 years of age. I don't like having long conversation with people, but I feel comfortable with Aqwa. I rummage the woollen bag hanging on Aqwa's back for my water gourd and woven mat. I spread the mat under the tree. A small rock stood beside the tree which gives a perfect view of the small flowing river when sat on. Our neighbouring kingdom-Wahda- can also be seen from on top of the rock.

After minutes of reciting the Quran, I remove the sword, tucked in its golden scabbard. My sword is always with me, hanging around my body underneath the layer of heavy clothing. The golden hilt of the sharp metal sword adorned my hand; the sharp blade can cut through any flesh with just a touch. The sword responds to my hand movement, up in the air the blade moves from left to right cutting through the floating sand particles.

"yahhh yarhh." I make determined sounds as I continue practising, using the blank air as my enemy. My left eye catches a swift movement behind me. The person must have thought I won't notice him because my back is turned to him, but he's wrong. I have very sensitive sense organs, even if it was a tiny housefly, I will sense it.

I raise my sword forward in case it is an enemy. I took small, light steps towards the rock the person is using as a hiding spot. An old bald man sat huddled behind the huge irregular rock-which looks brown because it has been coated with the desert's sand. The man shut his eyes tightly. His intertwined hands occupying the centre of his face like he is praying to God.

I brought my sword close to his neck, but I ensure to leave enough space, so it won't slice through his flesh. "Who are you... and what are you doing here?" I declare my presence.

"Please spare my life...please don't kill me," The man cries. His knees hit the floor, he bent his head down, and the portion of his head devoid of his white hair-any hair-faces my legs.

"Answer my question. What are you doing here?"

"Please, Amir..." he whimpers. "I'm from the Wahda kingdom, my kids are dying of hunger and I don't have money. Famine is also taking over the kingdom. I came here to see if I can get something... please spare me."

He knows I'm a prince, that explains why he's trepid. I lower my sword, "you know the rules, any trespasser shall be killed."

"please Amirul mumineen spare... spare me please, or my kids shall die of hunger." His head bends lower. His hands are almost touching my feet.
The right thing for me to do according to the law of the land is to kill him at that spot, and show his remains to my people for more praises. "Go and never come back." I hand him the stack of gold which rested in my trouser's pocket.

"jazakallahi khairan Amir. Jazakallahi khairan, shukran." he holds my feet tightly, "may Allah repay you." He stands up from his position, his hands slaps against each other as he dusts them. He expresses his appreciation for the last time before scampering away from my sight.

I watch as the man makes way to the small flowing river which is the border between Dhahab and Wahda. I take long strides towards where Aqwa rested.

"It's time to go," I say to Aqwa then I climb on his back. I pull his halter and he starts galloping towards the palace.