[17] J A W A D

JAWAD

Rage burns through me as I spot Zayd sitting in the midst of his friends, Talking and laughing unnecessarily when the kingdom is in immense danger. I cast him a hard glare, making he sure he sees it. His smile turns into a frown. I saunter into the palace ignoring his scowl.

I might be putting the lives of the Dhahab citizen in danger, that's why I left Tabib kingdom earlier. I don't know who the trespasser is, but the person has managed to penetrate the kingdom. I didn't intend to go to the Tabib kingdom. But a night before the ladies left, one of my guards found a threat letter tucked in the door to the barn.

Watch out. Blood will be spilled.

Those simple words carry a lot of weight. Short but dangerous. The person was able to infiltrate the tight security in the palace. The barn is almost at the end of the palace, How was the person able to go that far without being caught by any of the guards?

We have to be vigilant. I want to inform Abi, but I aim to have a lead before informing him. I've recruited more guards to accompany the ladies in the Tabib kingdom. I hope they perform their job properly.

I remembered the way my blood boiled when I saw Amna standing lost in the middle of the kingdom she knows nothing about. My heart twists with the thought of something bad happening to her. I won't be able to take it. I'll forever blame myself.

The look she gave me when I was leaving shows she knows something is bothering me, but she doesn't know how to table it. As much as I want to vent all my frustration and fear to someone, I want to keep her protected. Knowing that she and everyone in this palace and kingdom aren't safe will instil fear and paranoia in her. And I don't want that.

The guards greet me as I walk past them into my chamber. The Wahda kingdom must be prepared this time. I thought they will back down when one of their men committed suicide, but they didn't. I can smell another war anytime soon. And this will be more wrecking than any other I've fought because from the leads, I can guess their plan is to infiltrate Dhahab with their Soldiers little by little.

I push my door and amble into my room. Since the arrival of Amna, my room has stopped looking scanty and lifeless. Her flowery scent lingers in the room even in her absence. I can't wait for her to be back safely.

I finish changing into a black robe when I hear a knock on the door.
"Come in." I usher the person inside. The door creaks and Haider peek his head through the door. I nod, then he enters properly.

He bows. "Amir, we found something in the barn." He says, bowing again.

"Let's go." He nods then bows. He waits until I'm outside the room, before following behind me. I am curious and eager to see the new lead that I did not remember to wear my shoe. I stride barefooted towards the barn with Haider behind me.

I unfasten the log on the barn's door and enter into the barn. I slow my steps, scanning the barn and I don't see any foreign or abnormal object. The barn and the horses look fine and undisturbed.

"Towards the end of the barn," Haider says behind me. I fasten my steps until I get to the end of the barn, that is when I see what he is talking about. I crouch down to the iron lid leading to the outside of the palace. The lid is slightly open and there is a brown paper lying on the top. I quickly unfolded the paper and read the content.

We are watching you, Amir Jawad. Your kingdom shall pay.

My heart races faster. This time my name is mentioned, and also they declared their identity. Wahda is written boldly in Arabic at the top of the paper. For the person to know about this passage way, he must be well accustomed to the palace. Either he knows the palace well enough, or there's someone in the palace feeding him with information.