[3] A M N A

AMNA

"Come on...let's go...hurry." Dalia's excitement is evident in her tone as she drags me by my arm. All the maids find their way to the entrance of the palace, leaving their various chores behind. Their happy laughter and voices fills my ears as they push me from both side. I seem to be the only indifferent one here.

The tintinnabulation becomes louder as more people rush out. It's not every day the town crier has something to deliver. Anytime an information is passed through the kingdom's town crier, it's always huge.

"Amna move faster, or we are not going to get a good spot." Dalia shoots me a look which makes my leg follow her instruction instinctively. She holds me by my forearm as we continue pushing through the swarm of people also making way to the entrance.

Alhamdulillah, Alhamdulillah.
The wide gate leading out of the palace comes into view. I'll finally breathe properly. We get a spot in front of everyone because Dalia practically dragged me out of the kitchen when she heard the first clinking of the bell.

The town crier who is in a black robe with a white turban over his head continues ringing the black metallic bell in his right hand. He continues until he is sure everyone is settled. The crowd becomes silent as we all anticipate the big news he has this time around. Few people who aren't part of palace's staff, but resides close to the palace also joins the crowd. The town crier visits every part of the kingdom, but the palace is always the first.

"Concentrate Amna...he's about to talk." Dalia whispers into my ear, bringing me out of my trance. I turn my gaze to the crier squarely.

"Assalamu Alaykum," the town crier says in his loud voice. I guess having a loud voice is a criterion for being selected as a town crier because all the town criers I've seen have loud voices, or maybe it's from a gene in their lineage since they are all picked from the same family.

The whole crowd replies his greeting, then silence ensued again, but some are still murmuring. I glare at the group of girls standing close to me, who are snickering close to my ears; they shut their trap immediately they see my angry glare. I like that. I bite my lip to hide my smile.

"I have a message from the sultan." the town crier's voice makes an impact on everyone; I can't even hear the birds chirping. He drops his giant bell on the floor, and then fixes his hand in his pocket. It looks like he's searching for something. After ransacking his pocket for about 30 seconds, he brings out a brown folded paper.

The people's gazes fell to the paper, then back to his face. I just made an observation, the crowd is more of female than male. Not surprising though, Women live for information. I stifle my laughter, which made Dalia shoot me that 'are you mad?' look. I shoot her an apologetic look then turn back to the town crier who has already unfolded the paper in his hand.

"I hope you all are in good health," the crier begins reading. "As you all know, my son 'Jawad' is yet to be tied in the holy matrimony," I and Dalia give each other a knowing look when we hear that line. "I'm calling unto all the beautiful maidens of this kingdom to come forth, to participate in the bridal selection that'll take place upon the sighting of the new moon. I want you all to give in your best, and the best of the best shall emerge the winner. May Allah bless you all, and make the event a peaceful one."

The town crier looks up to take in the whole crowd, and then he continues, "from your sultan." He folds the paper and puts it back into his pocket. "That's all Masalam." He says then starts to walk away clinking his bell.
Loud murmurs and giggles from the female population breaks out. I assume they've begin practising for the competition.

"Will you participate?" Dalia asks as we make way back to the kitchen, where we were kneading bread dough before the commotion broke out. I haven't really thought about it, will I participate?