[9] A M N A

AMNA

"Amna,"

"Dalia, I'm fine, you need to stop worrying." Yes, I'm perfectly okay. I'm fine, even though Tahira has made my life unbearable since the court incident a week ago. I'm washing her dress, which isn't a bit dirty. I can remember I washed this same dress two days ago, and she hasn't worn it, but I'm washing it again.

"You don't look fine, Amna." Dalia continues probing me. She claims that I look restless since the incident. She's standing before me, while I'm sitting on a placement in the laundry, washing Tahira's clean clothing. I drop the dress into the washing bath and look up at Dalia.

"I'm very okay, Dalia, I've never been better."

"Is it because of the Amir's proposal?" Dalia just had to hit the bull's eye. She knows me too well. That's exactly what has been bothering me. I'm too scared to admit that to myself. It all feels surreal. What might have made him to say that I'm his fiancée in front of everyone? I know he wanted to help me, but that is too much.

"Amna..." Dalia takes a seat close to me, then she puts her hand around my neck. I rest my head on her shoulder while she rubs my arm. "I've told you... you don't have to worry." She says in a low tone.

I answer with a low, "uhm."

"Look, he hasn't said anything about it since then. You know that might have been his only way of helping you. You ought to thank him instead of over thinking." Dalia is right. Since that day, I make sure to avoid the Amir. I always hide whenever I see him from Afar. I haven't even thanked him yet. I'm such a confused being. Why do I even doubt that the Amir was serious? It's glaring he did it to help me, but why did he help me? Ya Allah.

"OK yes that's true the Amir can't be serious about that, right?" I raise my head from her neck and look into her eyes.

"He can be serious, but—"

"Ya Allah Dalia." I groan, nuzzling my face in the crook of her neck.

"Stop over thinking, let it flow. Let fate play out. Keep praying." She pats my head. "Yalla, continue with the washing."

"Shukran." I say, then do as she says. Dalia offers to stay with me until I'm done. She left all her chores to be with me. I persuade her to return, but she declines. I'm almost done washing when we hear a loud bang on the door. Dalia and I locked the laundry room door since we are the only ones there.

"I'll get that." Dalia stands then head for the door. I'm trying to see who the person at the door is, but Dalia is blocking my view.

"Who's there?" I can't contain my curiosity because Dalia has been standing there for over two minutes.

She turns to face me. "I'm coming." she mouths. Dalia closes the door then walk up to me. "Someone is here to see you." I rinse my soapy hand in clean water and dry my hands with my dress.

I stand from my seating position to face Dalia. "Who's there?" she rubs my arm and nod her head.

"You'll be fine." She says, then paves way for me to walk to the door. I walk to the door, but turn at intervals to see the pitiful expression Dalia has on as she watches me. I take in a deep breath, then turn the knob. I see no one in the entrance. I turn my head, that's when I see a guard, his body rested on the wall.

"Haider?"

"salam alaykum Amna."

"Walaykum salam." How does he know my name? If I'm not mistaken, I never told him my name. No worries, that isn't so surprising in this Palace. All he needs to do is to ask of a maid with blue eyes. It's advantageous to have a unique characteristic, except that when you commit a crime, you'll be easily singled out.