[19] A M N A

AMNA

I walk out of the room and saunter to the verandah. They are mostly no guards in the verandah area, so I can stare at the sky as much as I want until I'm ready to return to sleep.

I grab the railings with my hands and turn my gaze upward. The stories told to the younger kids entails that stars represent your lost loved ones. Whenever they are sad about losing someone close to them, they were told to look up at the night sky. The first star you see twinkling is your loved one greeting you.

A giggle leaves my mouth at that thought. Not like I believe the twinkling star myth a little. I can't help but wonder that the star is a unique creation of Allah. Up in the sky, it looks very near. Like I can touch it, But only Allah knows how far it is. It looks so small, but only he knows how big it actually is-

I swivel my head to my side when I hear a low thud. My hearts beat loudly against my rib cage. There was no any sign of guards when I arrived. Who could be here?

I take light-limping-steps towards the direction of the sound. On a normal circumstance, I'm supposed to run back to the room, lie in Jawad's arm and allow myself to drift into sleep land. But I'm not doing any of those. I grip the railing to support me as I continue tip toeing to the edge of the verandah where the sound generated from.

I extended my fisted hand to defend myself in case any harm comes. I'm well aware that my hand can't do more than to scare a crow away, but I'll still try. There's no harm in trying. I would have used my voice to ask who was there, but Jawad's room is behind the verandah area. I don't want to wake him up or raise any false alarm.

I look around when I get to the edge of the verandah. I see nothing except a big croaking frog. I can't believe a common frog startled me, a cute one at that. It croaked, hopped on the railing, then jumped out. But there is still this eerie feeling climbing my skin like a vine. The hair on my back stands, like someone is watching me.

I stretch my head to look behind the verandah when someone suddenly rushed past me. The action was very sudden that my back hit the railing causing me to release a low shriek. The person swiftly jumped through the other part of the verandah. I clutch my chest tightly to calm my raging heart.

Run. Run back to the room.

My leg refuses the command of my brain. I remain glue to my position, staring at the place the person just jumped through. The only thing I was able to grasp is the all black clothing the person wore. Definitely not a guard, a guard will face me and explain his reason for snooping around late at night. A guard won't even snoop; he will be busy protecting the inhabitant of the palace. I hug myself tightly, suddenly feeling cold. Not cold from the weather, but cold from immense fear.

I limp to the door leading out of the verandah, constantly looking behind me to make sure the strange person isn't returning. I almost get to the door when I spot a brown folded paper on the floor near where the unknown person jumped through. It wasn't there when I came, I'm sure of it. The person must have dropped it.
I limp towards the paper and pick it up. Then unfold it.

It is almost time.

Only four words are scribbled on the paper. I don't know what they mean, but it seems they carry a lot of hidden meaning. Who is that person? And why did the person drop this paper?
I fold the paper back and place it inside the black silk robe I'm wearing. I turn back to the door and I see a guard who has an unsheathed sword in his hand. He relaxes when he sees me.

"Is anything wrong, Amira? I heard your shout" the guard lowers his sword, but his eyes are still actively scanning the area for any form of danger.

"No, I saw a frog... That was why." I give him a tight smile, which might not be visible under the dark night. I don't know why I didn't inform the guard about the strange person and the letter.