[16] A M N A

AMNA

It feels so good and refreshing to play like a kid again. At first, I was sceptical to participate, but after much persuasion from Yasmin and Khadijah, I accepted. And I don't regret it. I move behind the pillar properly when I see Yasmin stretching her hands out with a blindfold around her eyes. If she moves a bit left, her hands are going to touch my arm.

I bite my lips and wrap my hands around my mouth to stifle the laughter about to erupt from my mouth. Her head turns to my direction. She must have sensed a movement around her. I've nowhere to run to now. If I move forward, I'll run into her arms and she'll catch me. If I move backward, I'll be caged by the wall behind me, and she'll definitely catch me.

I'm stuck now. The only escape option I've is for her to turn her head and move in another direction. But that seem less likely because she's trudging forward with her stretched arms. I hold my breath when she stands in my front and drops her arm. I attempt to wriggle through her side, but she pulls me back with much energy that my back almost collides with the wall. She's so strong for someone who has a petite stature like hers.

"Not so fast." She pulls the blindfold off her face with her other hand that isn't grabbing my arm. A grin spreads across her face when she recognizes me. "I've found the next player." She squeals, jumping happily. The remaining participant starts to appear from their different hiding spot. She unties the red blindfold now hanging around her neck and hands it to me.

I collect it from her with a smirk on my face. She winks in return. Before we started the game, I vowed that she wouldn't catch me. But now that she has, I know she won't miss any moment to rub it on my face. Apart from yesterday's night when Yasmin had a mood swing then went to sleep, she has been nothing but good to me. We bonded so well in few hours span.

I put the blindfold close to my eyes, then face the wall. "You all should begin hiding and make sure you hide well." I knot the blindfold behind my head. I start counting. The game of Ghommemah is a game which is played by a tagger hunting down the hiders. I'm the tagger now. The first person I catch becomes the next tagger. It goes on and on...until, well, we become tired.

I'm sure by now they must have all finished hiding. I turn and stretch my arms forward. The most important sense organ in this game is the ear. I'm tracing any form of movement my ears can detect.

The Tabib kingdom has hosted the royal meet up countless times, so now they have facilities for almost all the games. The Ghommemah game takes place in this field. It is fenced with bricks, and it has a wide door opening to the palace.

When I entered this field, I registered the position where each of the hiding square blocks are situated. I don't have a vivid memory of them, but I still have an idea.

I walk slowly, flinging my arm in different directions in case someone is in the way. I know there's a block near the door; I know I'll soon be there. I hear a giggle when I get close to block, I quickly run to the direction. I touch the wall and air. The person isn't here any more. She must have escaped. But no worries, I'll keep trying.

The floor isn't warm any more. It's now cold against my feet, and it's very smooth. The floor in the field is made of uneven stones. I'm tempted to drag my blindfold down, but I hate cheating. I'm determined to catch the next tagger. I feel a presence close to me.

Yes, this is the time, Amna.

I rush to the person, so she won't have any getaway time. "Yes..." I squeal when I grab the person's arm. But... a woman's arm can't be this bulky. I know the entire participant, and we are about 13. And Khadijah is the tallest, but her arm can't be this muscular.