[24] J A W A D

JAWAD

The door resounds behind me with a loud thud. Two guards scurry away from the door, but my mind is too occupied to pay any attention to them. Moreover, with the fury burning inside me, contact with anyone will be fatal.

I’m furious, but I can’t ignore the feeling of betrayal and sadness meandering through my internals. I blame myself most for opening that heart wrenching letter. I wish I didn't open it, I wish I can go back in time to change all the events that led to me opening it.

I thought to give her a present because of how I’ve been absent lately. I bought her a robe and wanted to hide it between her dresses to surprise her, not knowing I’d be surprised instead.

I should’ve just overlooked the chest when I saw it, but curiosity got the best of me. The chest was unlocked. I opened it and found different letters inside. I picked the one in the red envelope because it looked unique. I knew she loved writing. I thought it will be about me.

And yes,

It was about me, about killing me. She married me to kill me!

And she is professing her love for another person who isn’t me—her lion. I’m sad, I’m hurt, and I hate myself. I hate myself for not loathing her, I hate that the love I’ve for her is still burning in the pit of my heart. When she knelt, crying, before me, I wanted to rush to her. Hold her and make her promise all those letters were lies.

But no!

I gave her the privilege to explain herself, to tell me it was a lie or a prank or anything to make this feeling of hurt disappear. But she was quiet. Her mouth was shut and trembling.
She even nodded when I called her a liar and a cheat!

Audhubillah.

I’m losing it, I have to go somewhere to relax a bit. I can't face her anytime soon. A sharp pain tingles in my hand, which makes me clench my fist tightly. I look down at my bruised knuckles. I thought punching the wall will somehow make the pain in my chest transfer to my fist, but that was a wrong assumption. My chest hurts so much that I can feel my heart throbbing violently.

I push the door to the barn and close it behind me.

“Leave.” I command. The guards standing at the entrance of the barn bow then scurry away. I need an alone time.

I walk to Raana’s stall. She neighs when I pat her jaw. I remembered the day I gifted her to Amna. She looked so happy, she couldn’t take her eyes off the horse. I got jealous at some point.

Has she been plotting to kill me since then?

Now that I’ve been able to calm off some of my anger, I’m starting to think how weird the letter and everything about this whole situation seems.

Did she really marry me to kill me?

But it was I who first showed interest in her. I offered her a marriage proposal first.

If she wanted to kill me, there have been numerous opportunities to do so. Why didn’t she make use of them?

Maybe she has a plan to do so.

Nevertheless, I’d have noticed something weird about her behaviour from the start. I only started noticing some off things about her two days ago.

Is she speaking the truth when she said she knows nothing about it?

But that’s her handwriting, I know it too well. Why would she write lies that can break her home? Does she even have feelings for me?
What is the truth behind all these?