♛TWENTY-THREE♛

What A Time

If only death didn't dance on my fingertips and if only misery wasn't written in the story of your life

If only death didn't dance on my fingertips and if only misery wasn't written in the story of your life...then perhaps, we would have been different. Perhaps we would have been free.

✦✧✦

"She reminds me of a place that once provided me peace. I don't know what that place is...at least, I don't remember. But she somehow feels like the breath of fresh air that I had been waiting for. She is my happy pla—"

Bucky was interrupted in his writing when he heard a knock on his door. He immediately closed his journal when he found Valeria standing in the doorway watching him with an almost giddy expression.

"Uh-oh, should I be scared? Did you kill someone?" Bucky asked, his mouth tilting up in a lopesided grin as he watched a pout forming on her perfect, plump lips.

"I did no such thing!" She huffed as she practically skipped inside his room, until she was standing in front of him where he had been sitting at the edge of the bed. "We, Sergeant Barnes, are going to go out and I'll take you to all my favourite places in Madripoor." She said, her excitement at the prospect overflowing in front of him.

For a moment, Bucky was tempted to say yes only because of how excited she looked. The two of them had spent almost two weeks in Valeria's penthouse, mostly spending time together or in the same room while they did their own things, and slowly with time, Bucky was coming to a realization that he had begun to get somewhat attached to the noirette currently standing in front of him.

And the sight of a smile on her lips, oh how that got his heart racing in ways that he could not even explain.

However, there was still a part of him that was deeply connected to the man that he was before meeting her and the things he had done. And there was absolutely no way in hell that he wanted to allow his past to come to hurt her in any manner.

And so, he said, "I don't think that it's safe for me to go out in public. I made a lot of enemies and it is not exactly difficult to recognise me from a mile away." He stated, flexing his metal arm slightly.

He had a look on his face that told Valeria enough about his desire to step outside and see the world in all its glory, but there was a sliver of vulnerability entrapped in a capsule of his fear that was not allowing him to give into his wishes.

She gave him a bright smile and took his hand in her own, causing him to put down the journal back on the bed as she dragged him up before turning him around to face the closet.