37. Spoken With Ease

"Briar...? Hey, Songbird. Please...open your eyes for me..." A soft voice was heard around her, but she couldn't seem to open her eyes. She didn't exactly understand why, and it took her a few moments to realize the pain. All over her body.

A noise must have escaped her because the voice beside her spoke up again. "Songbird! Please. Please please open your eyes...I need to see you, my love..."

It took a few tries, but after a while Briar slowly opened her eyes, looking around at the unfocused world around her. "Papa..." The word struggled to leave her throat, and the effort made her lay her head back once more, trying to rest once more and release.

"NO, Songbird...please... I need you to stay awake for me. You must stay awake for me. I've done the best I can but-...I don't know how well I can do if you fall back asleep."

The panic in Mingi's voice made her eyes open once more, and she paused for a few moments, making a pained sound. "What...what happened...?"  She glanced around, seeing Hongjoong's limp body a few feet away, but no sight of Logan or Yunho.

Mingi let out a relieved sigh when he saw that Briar had opened her eyes. A small breath of air escaped his lips, and Briar felt the cool air on her face, brushing her hair back a little bit. She wondered vaguely how that was made possible.

"Hey...try not to move too much Songbird...you're still badly injured." Briar looked down and realized what had happened. Mingi has used a hot tool to cauterize the wounds on her skin, successfully closing them and stopping the bleeding.

"How long will it hold...?" She asked softly, looking around once more. "Where are Papa and Uncle Yunho?"

Mingi paused for a few moments, looking away and making sure he wasn't looking directly at his daughter.

"Papa. Where are Logan and Uncle Yunho?" There was more urgency in Briar's voice this time as she reached her good arm and gently set her hand on Mingi's cheek.

"I couldn't get to them on time...Your dad had already destroyed Yunho's body..." Mingi whispered softly and solemnly. He pulled away from Briar's gentle hand. "I let him down, Briar."

"Papa...it's not your fault...It's Hongjoong's...he's the one who did this. He's the one who forced dad to kill Yunho. Not you."

"Don't let me get away with this, Briar. I could have stopped your dad. I could have saved them both."

"There's no way Hong joong would have let you go to save him." Briar reminded him softly as she slowly sat up and leaned against the benched behind her. "Papa...what about dad? Where's he?"

"He's shut down right now. I used the electromagnetic device to shut him down for a few moments." He whispered, and Briar nodded her head. "Come on...we should get dad and get out of here while we have the chance."

"No. Songbird. I'm sorry. Wait for your dad to power back on and get out of here with him. But you need to get out of here. I'll do my best to hold Hong joong back. I'll keep him distracted."

"You're insane if you think I'm letting you do that, papa. We know how powerful Hong joong is. He'll rip you to shreds instantly. He'll kill you just like he's killed everyone else, and then he'll come after me. He'll use Dad against us, too. We need to think of a better plan. One where the three of us make it out together. I just got you back. I'm not losing you again."

"No! Briar! I'm not letting you get hurt! You are my daughter. My pride and joy. The best thing that ever happened to me. I can't lose you. Not again..." Mingi looked away, instantly apologizing before he hummed softly and pressed his lips together.

"Come on. I'll help you power your dad on, and then you two need to get out of here. Please. You're hurt enough as it is. You can't last very long without medical attention."

"Papa..."

"Please, Songbird. For me. Just take care of yourself for me, okay? Maybe one day we'll see each other again. But right now? You need to get out of here and take your Dad with you. He'll help you out as much as he can. Don't forget. Androids are a thing that is normal on the planet, but your father was known as my husband. You get recognized all the time, right?"

Briar slowly nodded her head, looking confused but she didn't say anything else.

"Your dad will too. There will be questions. Just take care of him. He knows how to handle crowds. I love you."

"I love you too Papa...but please..." Her words were cut off when Mingi stepped forward and embraced his daughter in a warm and loving hug, holding her close and running his fingers through her knotty hair.

"Take care of yourself, Songbird. I've seen how you've grown. You've become such a strong girl, taking care of yourself your entire life. I love you, okay? Keep yourself and your dad safe." Mingi pulled away from her as Logan walked up, rubbing at his eyes, which had once more faded into the gentle blue they normally were.

"Are you ready, Thornbush?" Logan asked after a few moments, setting a gentle hand on Briar's shoulder. "We need to get out of here soon."

She didn't say much else, but she took a step forward and embraced her father tightly, trying not to cry into his chest. She'd just gotten him back. And now she was losing him again. "Thank you, Papa...for all the amazing memories...for all the lessons and all the help." She whispered into his ear before she stepped away and waved to Mingi as he smiles, wiping at his cheeks and waving back.

Logan took her hand gently before wrapping a gentle arm around her waist, holding her close while also supporting her. As they left the building, Briar paused at the door for a moment, turning back to look at Mingi, before glancing at Hong joong, whose power systems had turned back on and he was slowly getting to his feet.

Before Briar had a chance to call out a warning, Logan walked them out of the main stage area. "You need to be careful...come on. Let's get you out of here, and then we'll get you to the hospital and check all your wounds."

"Dad...I'm worried about Papa..." She whispered after a few moments, glancing at Logan, who just nodded his head. "I'm worried about him too, my darling. But the best we can do is take his sacrifice and get as far away from here as we can-..."