40. Don't Bury Your Uniqueness

While Logan worked quietly on getting the gate unlocked, Briar watched with careful, worried eyes as Hongjoong and Mingi murmured. She was too far away to hear what they were talking about it, but she relaxed a little bit. It didn't seem that Hongjoong was going to do anything to her father.

She slowly tilted her head back and leaned against the fence, trying to relax. The night had been intense. She was glad the adrenaline had kept her awake the entire time, but now that she was so close to being free, she felt drained and tired. She let out a tiny little hum, slowly nodding her head before she heard a cry of surprise.

At first, she glanced up at Logan beside her, but after she followed Logan's eyes to where Hongjoong and Mingi were. She looked that way too and paused for a moment, trying to understand the situation.

Then it dawned on her. She could see Mingi, clutching his shoulder as he tried to desperately back away from Hongjoong.

Then, she looked over at Hongjoong, who was snarling and smirking, gripping onto something. As she looked closer, she was horrified as she realized that it was Mingi's arm, which Hongjoong had just yanked out of the socket.

"Papa!"

"No! Mingi!' Logan called, wanting to run forward before Mingi help up his other hand.

"Logan! Don't move! Stay there, get Briar out of here."

"But- Mingi..."

"My Princess. I will find you again. But please. Get our daughter out of here." Mingi said in a deeper tone, nodding to Logan. "I love you. It'll be okay."

Logan nodded his head slowly, taking a step back to Briar and turning to the hate, almost finishing with unlocking it. Briar pressed her lips together as she tried to stand to help [p her father, but she was much too weak.

All she could do was watch in horror as Hongjoong dropped the arm he'd already ripped from Mingi's body, before walking forward and cornering the other, smirking softly as he crouched down in front of Mingi.

"You thought you could make a deal with me? That you could convince me to let Briar go. You're so fucking wrong it's sad." Hongjoong purred, loud enough for Briar to see as he reached forward, one hand settling on the side of Mingi's neck while the other wrapped around his upper arm.

The sound of fabricated skin and wires being torn apart filled the air around them, as Hongjoong yanked harshly and the second arm was ripping from the socket. The roughness of the movement Hongjoong made caused some of the oil to run through Mingi's 'veins' and splash into his silver hair.

"No! Papa!"

"Briar! Stay there!" Mingi quickly called out to his daughter, glancing at her and whispering in a small tone. "My sweet sweet Songbird...I love you so much...you've made me so proud."

"Papa...please" Briar whispered, trying to stand up once more, but this time it was Logan who stopped her.

"You take care of your dad, okay Songbird? You protect him, make sure he doesn't get hurt. Now...close your eyes from me, and don't open them until Logan tells you to. Understand?"

Briar slowly nodded her head, taking a deep breath before she shut her eyes and tilted her head back, making sure to listen to her father.

"Rot in hell, Hongjoong." She heard Mingi's voice faintly, through the rush of water filling her ears as she panicked.

"I'm already there, Mingi. I'll see you there soon, however." Was the last thing said before Briar heard the same ripping sound of fabricated skin and she flinched. Logan's hand on her shoulders tightened as a hiss escaped his lips.

Then, something hit Briar's thigh gently, resting there. In her curiosity, she opened her eyes and looked down, only to see that Hongjoong had rolled Mingi's head to her, and that was what had hit her thighs.

She let out a scream of surprise, glancing all over the face of her Papa. His eyes were still open but the soft glow that had meant life was gone...his hair, cascading over his eyes, giving him the impression he was just sleeping. And his lips parted open with oil spilling out from between them, now that it had nowhere else to go. Briar blinked back tears, reaching forward with her good hand and just very gently running her fingers along Mingi's pretty silver hair. "I'm sorry papa...he won't get away with this..."