- Chapter 4 -

Diana's POV:

I watched a woman as she served food I had never seen. It seemed to be very expensive and only accessible to wealthy people. The woman, who I think was a waitress, lowered her head and walked away. I continued to watch the food as all my brothers except me and Lucas pounced on it and started eating.

Before, when Chris wasn't dead yet, we could starve for weeks. Rarely a small piece of bread or a glass of water, enough to survive. Flashbacks flooded my memory.

Flashback part: "CONTAINS INSULTS AND VIOLENCE"

I sat down, curled up in a corner, Luca on my right. I was really hungry and Luca was too. Chris was lying on the couch, dead drunk, waving his arms around he was so drunk. Hunger engulfed me more and more. Luca and I were skinny and weak. I couldn't take it anymore. Hunger was horrible torture for both of us, worse than whipping. Luca, also weakened, decided to take the first step, and gathered his courage with both hands.

He walked over to the drunk Chris, his hands shaking and fear in his eyes. I didn't want him to ask him. He was going to get whipped. But I didn't say anything. Terror paralyzed me. He stood in front of the couch and Chris turned to him, staring at him and dropping his eyes.

"What do you want little brat?" he asked her, the words dancing in my ears.

"I...I just wanted a little food for me and my...my...sister" I could see that Luca was making an effort not to stutter, but it was a failure. Suddenly, a wave of rage and anger slammed into him. Chris was now standing with a beer in his hand, smiling at my brother.

"You cheeky one!! how dare you stand in front of me when I've given you a home and a place to live!!! You are ingrate!! A nice little beating won't hurt you!!" Those were the words Chris was shouting. I knew what was coming next. I stood up but a look from Chris paralyzed me. Instead, I huddled under the stairs, hearing nothing but whipping noises and hysterical crying.

I didn't have the courage.

No

I am weak.

No!

You are weak! your brother is always protecting you while you are only trying to hide!!! Little slut!!

NOOOOO!!!!

End of flashback

I almost had tears in my eyes but I hold it. It's not time to cry. Just the agonizing memories are chilling my blood. I hadn't noticed that my brothers all stopped and stared at me and Luca. They looked at us strangely.

"Why aren't you eating?" Leonardo asked us in a softened tone.

"Is all this food ours?" I asked, making sure I was allowed to eat so I wouldn't piss them off. Luca agreed with me.

"Of course, it's yours. You have the right to eat," simon answered us. I looked at my food. I was only waiting for this moment, to throw myself on it. I tasted the first bite, and...I was in the clouds it was so delicious. The mozzarella on it was like rubber. Luca was just as happy as me. He wrapped the kind of long wire in the fork. Carlos explained to me that it was called; spaghetti bolognese. In any case, I will never forget the taste of this thing.

We had all finished eating, and the waitress came to pick up the dishes. Frankly, it was the first time I felt a strange, but pleasant sensation. My stomach was packed and I no longer felt hungry. Was... was I satisfied? This feeling that I had never felt all my life, was the same for Luca.

My thoughts were interrupted by Leonardo's powerful voice.

"Diana, Luca, Marco, Mattias, and Dylan, you're all going shopping." it was a simple phrase and came out of nowhere. But suddenly, an angry Dylan got up from his chair, almost knocking her over. He startled me.