ONE

-

-

HAWKINS, INDIANA

ONE YEAR LATER

If there was anything Emerson Hart knew about the world, it was that life isn't fair. Of course it wasn't, why else would her and her family move from Castine, Maine to Hawkins, Indiana? Probably because her mother passed away the year before in a terrible car accident and her father wanted to give her and her siblings a fresh start.

Emmy looked over her new room, her eyes falling on the hideous tan paint on her walls. She scrunched her face up in disgust as she thought about how Kimmy should have taken this room instead of her, but no, of course her sister wanted the biggest room out of the four siblings, and Tommy Hart agreed. The eldest should get the bigger room.

Emmy eyes fell on her bed, the soft blue quilt that had matching ruffles made her happy, knowing she had some sort of dictation over her room and it's decorations. A knock came from her door, causing her to turn and see who it was and there stood Tommy, her father, who stood there in his cop uniform.

Tommy Hart was the father of four kids, all of different ages. His eldest, Kimberly Hart, was the cheerleading captain of her cheer squad. Now entering her senior year at Hawkins High, Kimmy was determined to get her spot on the cheer team. His second eldest, Samuel Hart was entering his junior year Hawkins, out of all the Hart kids, Samuel and Kimmy were the most athletic out of the four. The two bonded over their favorite season, basketball season. Emmy was the shortest out of all of them. With her being the youngest in her grade Emmy was also the shortest. Instead of playing sports and being athletic like the two eldest, Emmy mostly stayed home, listened to music, and did her homework, while Henry, the youngest, stayed outside all day everyday. 

"It looks nice." Tommy said taking in his youngest daughter's room, Emmy sighed and spoke. "I still have to grab some things from the store, but it's pretty much done." She said and Tommy gave her a small smile and spoke.

"Okay, do you need money? I can give you some cash and Kimmy can take you to the store." He said and Emmy shook her head at his act of kindness- pity. It was always pity coming from her father, especially when Emmy was in the car with her mother during the accident.

"No, I'm okay." Emmy said and Tommy nodded and Emmy gave him a thin lipped smile and he spoke.

"Okay, well, I'll be heading out to the station. I picked up some hours and I should be back around seven, Kimmy's in charge. The first day of school is tomorrow so you can't be late." He said and Emmy nodded, not letting her smile fall. Tommy backed out of her room and made his way down the hall going to speak to Samuel.