SEVEN

FALL OF 1984

Making her way to the ice cream parlor's counter, Emmy walked with her hands down by her side as a crumpled up five dollar bill was in her hand. Emmy smiled to herself, seeing that the line wasn't even that long and she made her way over to stand behind the couple in front of her. Since it was October, this was Hawkins last hot week, so her and her brothers decided to go out and enjoy it while it lasted. Once the couple were done ordering, she walked up to the desk and smiled at the girl.

"Welcome to Pete's Polar Parlor, how can I help you?" She asked, looking at Emmy and she squinted and spoke looking back at the teen

"Could I get two scoops of cookie dough on a sugar cone and three scoops of min chocolate chip on a sugar cone?" She asked and the teen nodded and then spoke. "Anything else?" She asked and Emmy shook her head and she put the five dollars down and told the teen to keep the change. Seconds later, a boy came out from the back, smiling as he handed Emmy her two ice cream cones. She gave the blue eyed boy a smile and then made her way back to the benches, seeing Henry who was sitting at the table with Sam who had grabbed his ice cream already.

"Here's one mint chocolate chip." She said handing the green ice cream to him, which he grabbed excitedly.

"God, Emmy how can you eat that? It's raw cookie dough." Sam exclaimed looking at his youngest sister in disgust and she rolled her eyes and sat on the bench, next to Henry and glared at him.

"Look at what you're eating, Sam. Who orders Orange ice cream?" She asked and Sam glanced at her and licked his ice cream, defensivly.

"Orange Ice cream is normal, Emerson. Cookie dough, is not." He stated and Emmy rolled her eyes and Henry spoke, looking up at his older siblings.

"Does Kimmy have a boyfriend?" He asked, causing Emmy to shrug her shoulders and Sam to laugh.

"Please, you kidding me? Someone dating Kimberly Hart? Tell the Hawkins Post please." He said with a laugh, causing Emmy to grin and Henry spoke.

"Hey, someone can like her." He said and Sam shook his head and spoke. "You kidding me? Kimmy is one of the pickiest people I've ever met. There is no way a guy will ever go for her pickiness. Remember last week at breakfast? She didn't eat the waffles I made because they were a bit brown." Sam said and Emmy grimmaced and spoke.

"Sam, I didn't even eat your waffles. I thought that was rat shit." Emmy said and Sam rolled his eyes playfully and spoke.

"Har har har." He said and the three of them laughed and Emmy licked some of her ice cream and Sam spoke, looking at Henry.

"Have you and the boys been hanging out recently?" 

Henry shrugged and spoke. "Kind of, just been busy. Lucas and I have been mowing the lawn for old man Jenkins to get some money for the arcade." Henry said and Emmy nodded, proud her brother was working and Sam nodded and spoke.

"Good for you guys." He said and Emmy nodded agreeing with him and Henry looked at Emmy with a raised eyebrow and spoke.

"Any boys, Em?" He asked, causing Em to stop mid lick and Sam grinned and spoke.

"Yeah, Em any boys you'd like to tell us about?" He asked and she looked at him and spoke.

"No, there's no boys." She said and Henry rolled his eyes and he spoke. "You gotta give us some details, Em. You can't leave us in the dark." He said and Emmy nodded and spoke. " I will tell you guys, when I find someone. As of right now, I am single and very much happy. Are you Sam? Seems like you've been hanging with Julie Sinclair a little too much recently." Emmy said and Henry gagged and spoke.

"Now that's just disgusting." Henry said, causing Emmy to let out a laugh and she grinned knowing Henry never liked a girl and never will.

"Do you think Hopper and Mrs. Byers would end up together?" Henry asked looking between the two siblings and Emmy raised a confused eyebrow and spoke.

"Why would they end up together?" 

"Have you seen the way he looks at her?" He asked and Sam nodded and spoke. "True, that's true."

"I don't think so." Emmy said and Sam rolled his eyes and the loud sound of an engine caused Emmy, Sam, and Henry to turn their heads, as a blue Camaro parked right next to Sam's car. 

The three of them watched as a red haired teen walked out from the blue camaro and made her way over to the parlor and the driver stood in the car, with his window down, Emmy could see some smoke coming from the driver's window. Loud metal music was playing causing Emmy to furrow her eyebrows inwards, trying to see who it was. 

Sam watched as his sister was looking at the camaro, wondering who it was and Sam looked down at his ice cream and shook it a bit so some of it was drizzled down onto his shirt. He cursed and spoke, looking at Emmy.

"Em, could you go to the car and hand me the sweatshirt in the back?" He asked, causing Emmy to turn towards him, seeing Orange Ice cream all down his white shirt. She grimaced and nodded, grabbing his keys and made her way over to the car.

She breathed in deep as the blue camaro's driver came into view and her cheeks heated up as the blonde haired teen hit the steering wheel, following the drumming of the song he was listening too.

Emmy walked to the driver's side of Sam's car and began looking for the shirt from behind his seat, avoiding all interaction with the blonde eyed beauty that was parked so that his driver's side was right next to the passenger's side and it didn't help that her window was rolled all the way down either. Emmy furrowed her eyebrows inwards, not feeling the shirt and she looked up, seeing that it was in the seat behind the passenger's seat.

She rolled her eyes and sat in the driver's seat and turned herself over and tried to reach it from her spot. She grunted a bit, as she finally reached it and a laugh made her eyes widen. She pulled back, seeing the guy in the camaro looking at her and he spoke.

"Didn't think I blocked you in." He said, his voice thick as he looked at Emmy with a smirk. Emmy shooked her head and she spoke.

"N-no you didn't I just didn't want to disturb you or anything." She said and the blonde shook his head and grinned.

"You wouldn't have disturbed me, angel." He said causing Emmy's cheeks to reden and the guy opened his driver's door and walked over to Emmy's place in Sam's spot. Emmy opened the door and got out, standing before the blonde haired teen.

"Billy Hargrove." He said holding his hand out in front of him. Emmy blinked at his action and spoke softly.

"Emmy Hart." She said and Billy raised an eyebrow and spoke. 

"Is Emmy short for something?"

"Emerson." She said and he grinned and spoke

"Emerson, I like that." He said and Billy smiled and looked back at the table she was sitting at and Emmy spoke.

"I, uh, I should get back to give this to my brother." She said and Billy nodded and he watched as she walked away with a smirk on his face.

Emmy made her way to the picnic table and threw the sweater at Sam and spoke. "You did that on purpose." She said and Sam shook his head, a grin starting to show and he spoke.

"I have no idea what you're talking about, Em." He said and Emmy rolled her eyes  and watched as Billy made his way back to his Camaro.