Chapter 22: Never going back

~Adelina~

I hear loud footsteps running straight towards me, and not even a second later, there he is. The one and only

Zane Anderson

Zane stands in the doorway, his hand on the door and his chest heaving up and down like he just ran a marathon.

We look at each other for a few seconds, not saying a single word.

We don't need to speak words, our eyes tell each other the words unsaid.

slowly he removes his hand from the door and walks towards me, still not speaking a word.

When he reaches me, he stands beside me and finally says a word.

"Adelina"

his voice is breathy, and his eyes hold so much emotion in them.

"Hi," I say, not knowing how to start a conversation with him.

The last time I talked to him was when I was on death's door. I was lying in his arms, with blood gushing out of me, and losing my conscience really quickly.

He was shouting at my friends and the doctor, and telling me loving words.

but there was one sentence he screamed, but I blacked out before he finished it. I wonder what it was.

I was quickly brought out of my head when Zane was talking again.

"How-How you feeling?" Zane stuttered out, his voice still breathy.

Ive never seen Zane stutter. And Zane is a man with full confidence. He doesn't need to stutter. He knows his worth, and don't let anyone change it to their will.

And now before me, he's stuttering.

"I'm feeling...fine" I say.

I look at his face. Really look at his face.

He's very shaken. His eyebrows are scrunched up in concern, his eyes give away that he was crying, and least of all he's lips are very light in colour which means he hasn't eaten or drunken something in a while.

Least of all, his body language gives away that he's been worrying. He's slouching, and looking very worn out.

This is not the Zane I know.

And this Zane is making me concerned. Like really concerned.

"Here sit down" I say, as I motion myself to move to the side, but when I do I wince in pain.

"wow, wow, wow, slow down, its fine I can-" Zane starts to say but I cut him off.

"Your sitting down" I say with sharpness laced in my voice.

I don't know why I care for him after what he did to me, but I do, so he's gonna sit down before he faints.

I start to move my body to the side wincing in pain once more, and thats all it takes for Zane to help me.

He takes my arms and steadily moves my body to the side. I winced in pain sometimes, and he would immediately pull back, like he was sacred to hurt me.

He would constantly ask is I was fine, and that he wasn't qualified to do this, or some more gibberish. I would just say "its fine" and he would help me again.

Now he's sitting beside me, without the covers on. Just on top of the duvet.

And It's irritating me

"Zane" I say