Chapter Eighteen

Present

The next few days pass quietly. Dora doesn't want to listen to what I have to say about Jacob. She's adamant that it's over between them. While going to the library, I search for him on campus, but it looks like he hasn't come back to Braxton yet. The classes haven't restarted, so I assume he's preparing for exams at home.

People still stare at me when I hurry through campus, but now it is all about the fact that Oliver isn't interested in me anymore.

As the end of the week approaches, Dora gets more depressed. She doesn't seem to care about her exams. I'm starting to worry about her. In the end, I can't concentrate on my own revision.

On Saturday, I can no longer stand Dora and the way she stares blankly at the wall. She stopped talking to me, and I hate seeing her in this state. My best friend has issues, but I'm convinced she and Jacob belong together. He's the first guy she's ever been with for more than a day. I can't just let her throw this relationship away. It's possible Jacob might be back, but he's avoiding me.

When Dora leaves for the library for the first time in days, I sneak into her room in order to find Jacob's address. He lives with Oliver, and I remember Dora has talked about their house being situated next to Grayson Park. My best friend is organised. All the phone numbers and addresses are on her pink notepad, so I don't have to search long. I write down all the details I need and shove it down into my jeans pocket.

I put my jacket on and leave our apartment. It's freezing outside and it's getting dark when I reach Grand Avenue. It's on the north side of town, filled with semi-detached houses. I bite my lips, looking for their house and wondering if I'm doing the right thing. Dora would kill me if she knew I got involved in her business. She's miserable and stubborn, and I want to see her happy again.

After a twenty-minute walk, I locate the right house and stand on the other side of the street for a minute, contemplating what to say to Jacob. My stomach contracts almost painfully. I'm not only risking Dora's friendship, but also the ceasefire with Oliver, because he might be inside. He made it clear he doesn't want to be friends with me, and that's fine, so I can't push my luck.

Hesitating, I knock at his house and wait, feeling like I'm standing on pins and needles. My breathing gets heavier when I hear footsteps. A young student opens the door. He looks familiar, although we were never introduced. I remember him hanging out with Jacob a few times. He stands at the door, staring at me for a while, looking slightly surprised.

"Yes, are you lost?" he asks with his thick Scottish accent.

"Eee, yes... no... I'm here to see Jacob," I say. After going through the initial shock that I don't have to worry about Oliver, I flash him my beautiful smile. Back in high school, I used to be very good at flirting. I could always get what I wanted. I was Christian's girlfriend, and no one ever wanted to cross him. I used to hate myself for that, but it is time to use my charms to help Dora.

The light-haired bloke measures me up and down for at least half a minute before he responds.

"You wanna come in?" he asks, inviting me with a smile. I'm certain he does recognise me as one of Dora's friends. That cynical smirk on his face easily gives him away.

"So, is Jacob in?" I ask after I walk into a typical student-style living room with two black leather sofas. I smell burnt food and one glance around tells me only male students are occupants of this not-very-tidy house.

"No idea. He might be upstairs."

"Is he back to Braxton? I'm just wondering why I haven't seen him on campus."