Chapter Twenty Seven

Present

Next day, the four of us pack everything into Dora's car and make the journey back to our hometown. Over two years ago, Oliver had sworn he would never come back to Gargle. Then he showed up unexpectedly during that New Year's Eve party. He wanted to know why I came to visit his mother. Then we made peace, his bullying stopped, and now we're getting back together, as if the past no longer matters.

Last time, no one knew Oliver was back, but now it's official. Other people will recognise him, judge him. Then they will spot me. The person that was the cause of all the drama and pain.

Oliver's quiet throughout the journey. Last night I called Mum to let her know that I was on my way back. She had heard the news, and after a lot of difficult conversation, she agreed for Oliver to stay with us. But she wants an explanation of why he isn't staying with his own mother.

Mum knows only bits and bobs about the conflict in the Morgans' household, but she has no idea what happened between Christian and me.

Three hours later, we drive through the town centre. I feel Oliver tensing next to me without saying a word. Dora drops us outside my house and asks me to let her know if any date has been set for the funeral.

"Are you sure your mother doesn't mind? I can stay in the hotel," he says, looking around.

"I spoke to her. She's fine with this, but you have to go and see your mum. There is no point in waiting until tomorrow."

"I told you I will as long as you're with me."

Mum runs across the path and hugs me. She's the spitting image of me, the same long, caramel hair and fair skin. When she finally notices Oliver, her eyes widen with amazement.

"My God, what a transformation. India was right when she said you changed," she says.

"Good to see you too, Mrs. Gretel."

My mother says she's really sorry for his loss. Oliver nods and we all go into the house. My little sister Josephine keeps staring at Oliver for several minutes before she realises that's him.

Mum takes me away to the kitchen to talk a little. I feel sick that I haven't told her that Oliver and I started dating.

"Are you going to tell me what's going on here?" she asks, folding her arms together. I bite my lip, contemplating where to start. There is so much I've been meaning to tell her.

"Oliver left Gargle because his relationship with his mother broke down. He wasn't planning to come back."

Mum arches her eyebrows in confusion. "That's why he can't stay with her, because they had a fight?"

"It's more than just a fight. It's complicated, Mum. Can you drop it for now?" I ask.

She sighs and places her palm on my shoulder. "I can, but there is something else you're hiding from me. You and Oliver are a couple, right?"

"We're working things out between us. This is also very complicated."

"Are you sure you want to get yourself involved with another Morgan? I know how hard it was for you to cope after Christian—"

"Mum, please. I don't even know why I dated Christian. Maybe because I wanted to get closer to Oliver. Can you be happy for me just this once?" I ask.

"I'm happy for you. It's just worrying me. I don't want you to get hurt. Oliver looks a little damaged, and he could take you down with him."

"It's going to be all right. I'll make him see Mrs. Morgan. She changed. She takes her medication and goes to therapy. Oliver has nothing to worry about."