20

Part timers

Iroh ended up taking them to -you guessed it- a tea shop. Keya snickered and Zuko sighed when the old man announced that they would be working as servers for the time being.

The tea shop itself was small and cosy looking, with tiny wooden windows and a traditionally tiled roof. Faded green accents proudly showed off the Earth Kingdom theme that the shop naturally possessed in a similar fashion as the rest of Ba Sing Se. However, contrary to the grand, stone and tiled floors of the official Ba Sing Se government buildings, this shop was built out of wood and white-painted clay. Right above the entrance was a sign. It read: 'Pao family tea house'.

The three companions made their way inside, where a middle aged man waited for them with open arms. The man wore a traditional Earth Kingdom hat (which Keya really hoped she wouldn't have to wear -unless Zuko had to wear one as well; she would kill for that sight) and traditional green clothes. His tidy, dark haircut was complemented by a thin, long mustache hanging from his upper lip. He certainly looked like your typical tea house master...

The man, mister Pao himself, quickly welcomed them and handed each a pale apron with traditional Earth Kingdom patterns on the rims. Keya and Zuko both easily tied the strings on the side of their apron around their waist, the former even doubling the string back to her front, where she tied it in a neat bow. Zuko just tied it so that it wouldn't come loose, not caring what his string would look like. Iroh on the other hand struggled a bit... The fat man repeatedly tried to get the two strings attached, but failed miserably with each try.

"Well? You certainly look like official tea servers." Their new boss commented. "How do you feel?"

"Ridiculous." Zuko grumbled with his arms crossed. Keya shoved her elbow in his side subtly. Way to make a first impression on their new employer.

"It's perfect, thank you so much." She bowed politely. She didn't want them to get fired on their first day. The girl hoped that their new employer would treat them well, so that she could save up some extra money for her family once they arrived.

"Uhh, does this possibly come in a larger size?" Iroh asked shyly and raised his hand after his nth attempt. Their boss nodded.

"I have an extra string in the back. Have some tea while you wait." He poured them three cups of tea with a perfectly professional stance and handed each of them a cup.

Iroh took his first sip enthusiastically while the man walked to the back. Keya took a sip as well and frowned. The flavour was bland and slightly bitter. It really lacked the depth and layering of flavour that Iroh had always managed to add to his tea. Somehow, it seemed like this man had heated his tea too quickly, which had left no time for the water to properly absorb the flavours, while at the same time overcooking the leaves in the process. Perhaps it was a product of hastily trying to serve his customers, since the man had no servers... Hopefully the tea would improve now that Iroh was here.

"Bleugh!" Iroh suddenly spat out his tea. "This tea is nothing more than hot leaf juice!" He inspected his cup critically.

"Agreed, Mushi. It's not nearly as good as when you make it." Keya voiced her thoughts carefully, hoping that their boss couldn't hear. She decided to use Iroh's fake name just in case.

"Uncle," Zuko scoffed instead, "That's what all tea is."

Iroh and Keya gasped simultaneously, as if he had committed a grave offense. Was this boy crazy?! Keya started snickering again as Iroh scolded his grumpy nephew.

"How could a member of my own family say something so horrible!" Iroh exclaimed. He grabbed the tea pots and walked over to the front door of the shop. "We'll have to make some real changes around here." He promised out loud to himself and threw the tea right out of one of the front windows.