41

Growth

The Gaang sat around Aang's bed quietly as the boy fired one question after the other. "Why are we on a Fire Nation ship? Why is everyone dressed this way? And why am I the only one who's completely out of it? Even Prince Zuko's girlfriend seems to know more than I do!"

"Hey, that's my sister you're talkin' about-" Hun snapped, but was quickly cut off by Keya herself. She held her hand up to silence him.

"There's no need for that, Hun. The Avatar is simply confused."

"Right," Katara agreed, "you need to take it easy, okay? You got hurt pretty bad..."

Aang sighed and felt his side. He couldn't remember exactly what had happened or how he had gotten on this ship, but he couldn't deny that he felt like whatever caused this situation surely hadn't gone easy on him. His head ached terribly and he could feel a deep wound somewhere near the middle of his back. But the worst feeling of all was his lack of energy. His limbs felt like lead and it was as if there was something missing from his person.

Katara, sensitive to her friends' needs as ever, smiled and put a hand on his shoulder. "... I like your hair."

"-I have hair?!" Aang gasped and maneuvered one of his hands up to feel the dark tufts of hair that had grown out over the past weeks. "How long was I out?"

"A few weeks."

"A few weeks?!"

Aang's dark grey eyes landed on every individual in the metal room for confirmation of this shocking fact. They each nodded. When his eyes met Keya's, he frowned and sighed. Keya felt her heart sink at his expression. She didn't know exactly how she had already messed up her chances of befriending him, but it was a feat she feared she had accomplished nonetheless. All she could do now was try to be as respectful and friendly to him as possible. Hopefully he could see some use in training her (even though he was much younger than the 112-year old whom she had expected).

However, not all was lost, for the Avatar opened his mouth to speak, albeit hesitantly. "...I'm sorry for calling you 'Prince Zuko's girlfriend'."

Had that name not sent a stab of grief through her heart, she would have laughed at his insinuation. The idea that someone would be offended at being considered girlfriend of the Fire Nation's heir to the throne was not something she had considered thus far. Then again, she had never thought that she would have even come close to becoming just that.

"It's alright, Avatar Aang. I didn't take offense, although the title would be rather inaccurate at this point." She scratched her head awkwardly and gave him a fake close eyed smile. "Considering our split-up at the catacombs and all that..."

"Right, my bad- You can just call me Aang, by the way."

Keya's heart jumped with joy. Her fake smile was instantly replaced by a real one, leaving her bright eyes gleaming like moons and het smile as radiant as the sun. Even Aang himself felt the corners of his mouth lift up and his cheeks get warm (he had a thing for Water Tribe-type girls after all).

"Thank you, Av- Aang." Keya bowed. Hun gave her a friendly squeeze on her shoulder in support.

Heavy footsteps approached the bedroom. After a formal knock and a soft 'come in' from Katara, the heavy metal door creaked open as Hakoda stepped in.

"Everything okay?" His warm voice was friendly and welcoming, but not appreciated by all who were present.

"We're fine, dad." Katara grumbled. Her voice was laced with venom and teenage angst.