30

Truth in Confidence

The Prince opened his eyes groggily. It took him more effort than expected, for Father Sleep was trying to win his consciousness back to the other side. But Zuko persisted, he wanted to wake up and check what had happened. Was Keya alright after the fire? He pushed through his feverish mind and tried to show that he was awake. He felt so uncomfortable... His head felt way too warm, but his body felt cold. He was so thirsty.

"You should know, this is not a natural sickness." Iroh explained once he noticed that his nephew had woken up. The old uncle dutifully poured some of the herbal broth into a small cup. He helped his nephew up and held the back of his neck supportively. "But that shouldn't stop you from enjoying tea!"

"Wha-what's happening?" Zuko mumbled, still completely disoriented from his nightmare and the fever that raged on within him.

"Your critical decision -what you did beneath that lake- it was in such conflict with your image of yourself, that you are now at war within your own mind and body."

Zuko coughed and groaned. "What's that mean?"

"You're going through a metamorphosis, my nephew. It will not be a pleasant experience. But when you come out of it, you will be the beautiful Prince you were always meant to be." Iroh motioned for Keya to do something.

The sick Prince sighed in relief when he saw the Earth Kingdom girl appear before him, alive and unburnt. She squeezed the water out of a wet cloth and patted his forehead with it. Her young face was back to how he remembered it. Her soft, grey eyes sparkled when they made eye contact with his own. Her tongue was poked out between her lips subconsciously, a sign of the focus with which she tended to him. The midday sun streamed inside through the open windows behind her. Its warm rays highlighted her messy hair like a bright halo. She looked like an angel...

The sight was so calming to him that, before he knew it, he was asleep again.

Zuko woke up. His green blanket fell from his bare torso as he sat up and looked around. His uncle and Keya were both snoring softly in the corner. He smiled softly at the sight.

It seemed like his fever had dropped a bit. He felt a lot better. Still, the night's sweat clung to him uncomfortably. He decided that he would feel better after a good wash.

Zuko stood up and made his way over to the attached washing room beside the sleeping area. This room had a small toilet area with a wooden table. On the table, they kept a stone basin that they would refill with fresh, cold water every day. The Prince instantly headed to the basin and looked down. His hands formed a small bowl as he splashed some cool water on his face.

Behind the basin was a mirror. As he raised his head from the basin, his eyes automatically opened and took note of his own reflection.

To his horror, his scar was gone! Not only that, he was bald! And worst of all, he had an airbender tattoo as well! He had turned into the Avatar!

"Ah!" He yelled and jumped back in fright. His heartbeat quickened and quickened to a pace so fast, he was sure his heart would explode. His eyes were wide with fear as they looked back at the bald headed monk in the reflection. His heart pounded even faster. For a moment, it felt like he was dying, and then-

"AAH!" Zuko sat up with a yell. Sweat dripped off of his bare chest. He was gasping for air.

Quickly, he felt for his scar again. It was still there. He didn't know if he should have been disappointed or relieved. Would he have preferred to live without it? His feverish mind was too tired to give the matter much attention. He was so tired... He looked out the window. Stars twinkled outside peacefully, the city was quiet. He could hear Iroh and Keya murmuring softly in the kitchen, but he was too tired to get up. The young Prince laid back down and closed his eyes once more. This time, the dreams left his mind alone.