37

Ultimate Decision

The three prisoners waited with apprehension for the newcomers to reveal themselves, but their anxiety would soon be resolved. The tumbling rocks from the boy's rumbling entrance stilled their movements and ended the loud noise. Once the dust settled, the strangers were no longer unfamiliar to them. Iroh walked out of the dusty cloud with a young boy at his side. Who was the kid?

"Aang!" Katara yelled out in delighted surprise.

As the young boy, Aang, stepped out into the light of the catacomb crystals, Keya noticed that he was around Kanak's age. He seemed exhilarated to see his waterbender friend again, so she knew that they were friends. In fact, something about him looked -and felt- very familiar. But really, who was this kid?

The kid in question was bald with stormy grey eyes that sparkled with pure-hearted joy and hope. His face was round and childish, but his short stature had clearly endured many years of tough training. His tunic was unique, unlike anything that she had ever seen before. Yellow and orange contrasted against his pale skin, but the most obvious clash was between their warm colours and his blue markings. Arrows were tattooed along the boy's forehead and arms (as far as Keya could tell). His style would have made anyone look rough and intimidating. Yet, this kid wore his looks innocently, like a baby saber-tooth moose lion before it grows horns.

He looked like a walking description of how Zuko had made the Avatar out to be. This could only mean one thing... and judging by Zuko's frown at the sight of him, there was no mistaking it; this guy was the Avatar. Keya's lips parted in shocked realisation.

The Avatar! It's actually him!

Keya tried to keep herself calm and collected. Sure, he was twelve years old and probably had no clue of her existence, but still! All her life she had heard stories about the Avatar and how he would 'one day return to save the world'. And now he was finally here! She would finally get to meet him! Perhaps, she thought, if she could make a good impression, he could give her some tips on her airbending. Surely he would be interested to learn that there was another airbender out there? Maybe she wasn't even the only one!

Katara ran over to the boy and threw her arms around him. Aang hugged her back without hesitation, although he did throw Zuko a suspicious frown from over Katara's shoulder. Clearly, he had witnessed Katara putting her hand on his enemy's cheek. Keya couldn't blame him for being weirded out by the sight. She looked just in time to see Zuko mimicking the same offended face back at him. Boys...

Before the young Prince could do anything rash to his twelve year old target, he found himself squished in his uncle's strong embrace. Keya smiled when she saw the cute display, but Iroh wasn't done.

The old man opened up one arm and waved his hand for the airbender (Keya- not Aang) to join them. Of course, she accepted the offer without any hesitation. Together, Keya and Zuko hugged Iroh back with all their might. From their loving embraces with their loved ones, Zuko and Aang still managed to send one another several disapproving glares. Although everyone around them seemed to get along, the two enemies were not going to become allies just like that.

Iroh was the first to end their group hug. He stepped back and immediately turned to Keya to inspect her wound. He tutted to himself as he saw the smeared blood on her tan forehead. Iroh was a calm man with great control of his temper, but the sight of his self-claimed daughter being hurt was pushing his limits. Carefully, his hand reached into his robe and pulled out a cotton handkerchief. With great care, the man cleaned up the teen's face. Keya hissed softly whenever the cloth came too close to the small injury, but she never pulled away from her old friend's care. She trusted him with her life.