42

The Return

Katara bent some of her water onto Aang's wound. As soon as it touched the centre of the dark red mark on his back, the boy's head snapped back as memories from his past hit him with full force. He saw it all: the attacks, the lightning, and then-

"I went down." He gasped. "I didn't just get hurt, did I? It was worse than that..." He cradled his aching forehead with his hand, as if the action itself could somehow help bring his memories back more clearly. "I was gone," he looked up at Katara, "but you brought me back."

Katara looked down. "I just used the spirit water from the North Pole. I don't know what I did, exactly." She shrugged.

Aang turned around and looked her in the eyes seriously. "You saved me..."

Katara stayed silent as she leaned towards him and lifted her hand up to his cheek. The two teens gazed into one another's eyes, tired but comfortable in the other's presence. It was the type of atmosphere where one instantly felt so safe that it triggered the desire to take a good nap. Not much needed to be said, except "You need to rest."

And so, for a little while, Aang did as he was told and rested his head back on his pillow. He was out like a light as soon as his eyes closed.

Meanwhile, across the ocean in the capital city of the Fire Nation there was a grand congregation that had gathered. Thousands of Fire Nation officials, citizens, and soldiers stood in neat rows according to their rank and class. Rich families and their servants clapped quietly at the front while the working class families and their children cheered and hollered from the back. The entire city was present in order to welcome home its royal leaders from their victorious trip. The news that their Crown Prince had returned from his three year banishment was enough to move large crowds.

Two elderly women -twins, as indicated by their identical appearance- stood together and spoke loudly over the crowd. Their words were formatted according to the formal guides for a royal ceremonial welcoming speech:

"Your Princess Azula, clever and beautiful," They started off with introductory words of praise, "disguised herself as the enemy and entered the Earth Kingdom's capital. In Ba Sing Se she found her brother Zuko and together," their voices grew stronger and more passionate, "they faced the Avatar AND THE AVATAR FELL! AND THE EARTH KINGDOM FELL!"

The twins paused as the crowd went wild, before continuing with regained restraint.

"Azula's agents quickly overtook the entire city." Their voices croaked with old age and passion.  "They went to Ba Sing Se's great walls and BROUGHT THEM DOWN!"

The crowd cheered more and more. The news had already reached most of the capital citizens, but the people of the Fire Nation couldn't help their excitement when it came to victorious storytelling. See? Some thought; There's no way that the rumours about our Prince being defective were true! His punishment was just and his loyalty has remained!

Yes, it seemed as if the royal siblings' victory had come along just in time to convince their subjects of the Fire Nation's supreme status. The fact that one of the siblings wore a burn mark on his face as a symbol of shame from his father seemed neither here nor there to the people. It clearly taught him a lesson. With their rulers reunited (save for their Queen), all festivities and victories were surely theirs to celebrate.

"The armies of the Fire Nation surged through the wall and swarmed over Ba Sing Se, securing our victory! Now the heroes have returned home!" The twins continued. They stepped aside, making an entryway for their rulers to step through as they were announced one by one.