22

A Consideration of Truth

The next morning, Iroh had a bit of extra trouble waking up the two teenagers in his care. For a reason unknown to him, his nephew seemed extra grumpy at breakfast. Even Keya was unusually quiet! Had they not slept for long? For a very brief moment, he suspected that their reluctant friendship had escalated to something far more... indecent. However, when he entered the living room and saw the letter on their table, that thought was quickly expelled from his mind. It didn't take the old General long to put together what the two teens had actually been busy with the night before. That said, it didn't mean that he couldn't tease them a little bit.

"So, I see that the two of you have been busy last night?" He smiled and gave both teens a friendly pat on the back.

To his surprise, his nephew choked on the tea he had been drinking and spluttered. Wait, did something actually happen? "What are you talking about uncle? Nothing happened!"

"Zuko- err, I mean, Lee- was friendly enough to help me write my letter for my family. It ended up taking a bit longer than expected... I couldn't exactly find the right words." Keya explained with a nervous smile on her face.

Iroh looked at the two of them, the way they both gave him nervous, innocuous smiles. The sneaking suspicion arose in him that something more had happened. Yet, with the remnants of Keya's letter still on the table, what evidence did he have? Iroh decided to drop the subject. He could probably tease the answer out of his nephew later anyway. Besides, he was rather pleased to learn that Zuko had helped the girl. She had a good influence on him, it seemed.

"Good to see that my nephew was so helpful!" He smiled. "Perhaps travelling with a young lady has finally taught him some manners."

Zuko scowled at him and rolled his eyes. "I'm perfectly well-mannered when I want to be, uncle."

"Yeah, 'when you want to be', that's the problem." Keya snickered and finished her breakfast, ignoring Zuko's sarcastic eye-roll. She quickly got up and left for the washroom to get dressed. She knew that neither man would ever dare intrude in their shared sleeping area when they knew she was changing her clothes, but the girl didn't want to risk any awkward accidents. In the meantime, Iroh made sure to clean up the remnants of their breakfast.

Zuko plopped himself on the couch in the living room as he waited for his uncle and Keya impatiently. The teenager thought about his growing attachment to the girl with mild concern. Sure, he thought, they were becoming close now, but what would happen once she found out who he really was? Would she still be so kind if she knew that he was the heir to the empire that she detested so much? He wasn't too sure what he should do. At first, he was certain that he could hide it until she left them again. But now? Now, he was sure that they were going to live together for another couple of weeks until her family arrived in Ba Sing Se. Surely it was best if he brought up the topic of his royal heritage now? After all, she knew that he was a firebender already, what was the worst that could happen?

Zuko sat up. His pale fingers grasped the dark tufts of his hair tightly in frustration. What was the worst that could happen?! Really? She could freak out and do something rash! Or even worse, she could leave! The poor unknowing teenager sighed dejectedly and rested his chin in the palm of his calloused hand. Iroh heard him and turned around.

"What is it, son? You look conflicted." His warm eyes sparkled with mischief. "Are you worried that Miss Keya- 'Jun' will not reciprocate your feelings for her?"

Zuko's eyes widened in offence at the accusation. He stood up and hurriedly explained himself. "Wh-what, no! Uncle, you don't know what you're talking about. I don't have any... that's not even the point- Ugh, has all that tea you've been brewing fogged up your mind?" He sank back down into the couch. His hands hid his red face diligently as he slouched back, his mind was now both conflicted and embarrassed. Iroh raised an eyebrow at the sight.