𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐

NATASHA'S POV

After that 'eventful escape' , which wasn't planned at all and I wouldn't call it an escape seeing as it wasn't that thrilling, plus, we ended up in a gas station at the outskirts of Budapest.

As I walk around the small convenience store, I noticed that Y/N was oddly quiet. Looking from around me, I spot her near the counter, eyes fixated on the screen. I approach her.

"I told you, those guys were not after us," She mumbled as soon as I was close enough to hear her.

"What?" I questioned, eyebrows knitting together and she respond with a nod towards the television box.

"It was a robbery," She sighed with her words, turning her back on the small screen as she scanned the aisle of food.

"Well, atleast we weren't part of that comotion or else we'd be stuck there 'till they let us out," I chimed with a relief in my tone as I turned around to look at her.

"Hmm, yeah," She added quietly and I watch her pick out a candy pack from the shelf, turning around to face me, she smiled while holdong the candy pack on her hands. That smile was so familiar and I wouldn't forget what they are or what they meant.

I huffed in amusemnt, mirroring her smile after. "It's your favorite, I know," I stated which quickly made her cheeks pink-ish.

Without waisting another minute, she opened it and put it in her mouth... and from that moment I knew I'm about to pay for whatever she's going to have.

One and a half hour later, she was slumped on the floor, back resting on the door of a freezer, empty shells of food scattered around her as I pace back and forth waiting for Barton to pick up the phone.

Pausing infront of her, she looked up at me and asked, "Nothing?"

Shaking my head, I decided to join her on the floor, "Nope," I relied popping out the p, and with that response she scooted in closer to me, hooking her arm on mine.

"He's probably planning out a comeback at Sam," She casually retorted before resting her head on my shoulder blades.

I chuckled at her words, trying to lift up the mood when she obviously isn't in the mood either. "You always know what to do, don't you?" I arched an eyebrow at her.

She hummed, "Of course, I'm the best," She stated with a small triumph.

I couldn't, and would not argue with her about it, because honestly she was right, she is the best, although I'm still the best of the best — but my piont here is that she survived, afterall she's been through she's still here in one piece, —broken but in one piece—, and no matter how many times that she leeaves and lock me out of her life, somehow I still find my way back to her. Time and again, she'd open up to me, she'd let me in. It's crazy that she doesn't get tired, or she does, but I've never seen her give up; she's strong, brave and resilient, she maybe reckless at sometime but that's her being not perfect — the only reason I keep coming back to her, and everytime that I do she comes back to me.

By the time the phone beeped, I sighed in frustration before looking down at Y/N, and much to my surprise and relief, she had fallen asleep within the span of five minutes. Though I don't think she planned to fall asleep on me, she had no choice since she was tired and I'm the only one she could lean on, but then again she'd make me her own personal pillow I would never even dare to complain.

With that said, I didn't wake her up, instead I slowly lift her up on my arms and carried her on a bridal style, I nodded at the old lady behind the counter as a thankyou for not kicking us out of the store, then rented a motel for us both to spend the night in, but when I requested for two separate rooms the old lady said there was no available space, so I had to share a room with her. Luckily there were two beds.

As soon as I placed her down on the mattress, she murmured in her sleep.
"Please tell me we're not sleeping on the same bed," She quietly groaned.

I stared at her for a while unable to believe that she's still conscious about everything going on around her, yet I manage to trick her, saying, "Is it so wrong if we share the same bed?" I teased, which caused her to turn her back on me as her response.

I shook my head with a smile before walking over to my own bed next to hers.
"Go get your own bed, but if you don't have any options then you can sleep next to me," She finally mumbled an acceptable response, quickly causing a smile across my lips.

"Okay," I replied in a shushed tone but she was already  back to drem phase.

YOUR POV

Scrunching my eyebrows, I heard muffled whimpers coming from a femenine voice, and as soon as it clicked it, I immediately shot up on the bed, hand ghosting my gun inside my pocket.

The room was small, dark, one coffee table, a sink, and a bookshelf. On the back of the room was a door, I'm guessing a bathroom.

Finally turning my head to my side, I saw Natasha. I put the gun down and climbed on her bed. She was still whimpering, face fell into a frown as her lips shivered ever so lightly. Gathering her hands, I intertwined them to mine, gently stroking it with my thumb.

I knew what was bothering her but I just watched and wait patiently for her to wake up. When she tightened her grip on mine, immediately waking up from her unpleasant sleep, startled as she sat up, and I held her.

It took her a while before finding my eyes and I smiled.
"Still having nightmares?" I stated quietly. I didn't have to ask but conversation starts that way.

She nodded her head. "Yeah," With a quiet reply, she just stared at me, eyes pooling with her tears and I was ready to wipe them away incase they fall. "But not as vivid as it used to," She rasped, nose redder than the usual.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"I am now, thanks," She shyly smiled at me but her eyes didn't say the same thing.

Cupping her face in my hands, it took her aback sinve she wasn't expecting it, neither did I, but I guess I did. Deeply looking at her in the eye. "Are you sure?"

And she finally gives in. Her tears fell down one after another and like I said, I wiped them away. Wrapping my arms around her, I pulled her in for a hug.
"Do you wanna talk about it?"

She sniffled. "You were on the floor with a pool of your own blood. Taliyah died in my arms. But I just walked away and turned my back on the both of you," She answered.

With a knot in my stomach, something about what she said was half the truth, how do I know it? Because that's how I killed her father, everyone thought I was the reason that Ivan died but I was the one who killed him, I left him on the pool of his own blood, the only mistake that I did was he died in the arms of his only son, Natasha's brother, Vindiktor Romanov.

─━  ⑅  ⴵ  ⑅  ━─