④_Two Worlds, One Soul

Seeing no other way out of there, the Iraqi Lieutenant just found out another opening through the rock and even if it would cost him another descent into that cave, he decided to cross it anyway...

And with you behind, of course.

You wondered why you also started to follow him, definitely seeing the light faded away it made you feel very bad, as you went deeper and deeper into darkness...and while you scrambled down there carefully, you didn't stop thinking about that strange and horrible creature from earlier.

What they were and why they were there were the questions you couldn't find an answer to. But soon, you had to turn your attention back to the Iraqi man, now standing a few meters below you.

《Be careful, the rock is weak in that point.》 He warned you, but before you could figure out where to put your feet, something like another tremor spread inside the cave, shaking the wall behind you.

You were like petrified and when Salim noticed the crack above you too, he pulled you in the opposite direction to prevent the rocks from falling over your head. Fortunately, the earthquake ended almost immediately and when you opened your eyes just then, you found yourself again in the arms of the Iraqi man...hell you didn't know why, but that was becoming a really bad habit.

《T-thanks...you can put me down now.》 But you just heard his chuckles after saying that and your face suddenly flushed with embarrassment.

Gosh, why's happening all this to me!?

《Sure, but remember your leg is still hurt. Let me help you with it, okay miss doctor?》

Unconsciously, your hands were resting on his sturdy shoulders to support you as the man's warm, calloused ones were still holding your legs, particularly touching the sweaty, bare skin of your thighs. Right there, Salim's gentle smile turned into something more shy when he thought he was doing something impudent.

Allah forgive me... He prayed in his head as he let you go.

《So, what do you do in life? I mean out of here...》 Salim casually asked you as he cleared his throat, definitely he wanted to break the ice and clear his mind by talking about something else...and you didn't know what to answer, just like you didn't know if it was a good idea to talk with him about it.

《Well, I work in my own clinic. A medical clinic.》 You answered vaguely and with a little discomfort, but Salim stayed silent, interested in hearing the rest.

《I see, you must be very proud of your work. It's not that simple, but you can get all the satisfaction you want in helping others and that's very amazing.》 He added with a half smile and without stopping to look at your smaller, slightly nervous figure.

《'Course I am, there's nothing more satisfying than doin' good for others.》 You finally smiled too, it had been a while since you had heard such things and even though those words came from a stranger, you still felt better.

But at the same time you wished you could have done something more for yourself too.

《And what exactly do you do?》 There, Salim was too busy looking for something to light the way ahead to notice you were playing with the backpack straps nervously.