⑤_Who Can You Trust

It was missing little, very little and your lips would have ended up against those of the Iraqi soldier. But that didn't happen, or better, it was interrupted when you heard Eric's voice calling you...for a moment, you had completely forgotten he was still around.

《I...I think I have to go, now.》 You said putting the right distance between you and Salim again, who hadn't stopped looking at you in the meantime. Of course, you really didn't want to leave him out there and alone.

《I understand. Go then and don't worry about me.》 He replied, not that he really wanted it, but he didn't want you to have problems with your teammates because of him either and just watched your figure walk towards the tent, on the other side of the temple hall...

And yet, without forgetting the missed kiss he was about to give you without thinking. Or rather, after he hadn't stopped thinking about it for all that goddamn time with no guilty feelings. But Salim wasn't the only one there, as you still wore the redness on your cheeks.

For a moment, you couldn't believe you wanted to taste those lips and so, you let out a sigh of total frustration.

Fuck! Have you already forgotten what happened a month ago, Y/n?? I can't afford another bullshit like this. Not again.

You were thinking that with an absorbed look, when you saw the colonel turn in your direction just then.

《Good timing Dr. Kolchek! I need you to collect some samples to take away with us.》 Eric explained in a strangely enthusiastic tone and an almost forced smile.

《I've never seen anything like it before...do you think it is an ancient race or something similar? It doesn't even look terrestrial.》

Soon, you turned your attention to the creature's corpse, lying on the table in front of you 《I don't know, it's almost unbelievable that we managed to kill it...but now, it seems to be deteriorating and fast too. I think it's the lack of blood in their body.》

Eric listened carefully, any information was useful to better understand what those creatures were and just took a pair of pliers from his bag, intent on taking a piece of that rotten skin, in particular where he had noticed some liquid come out right from its jaws.

《Wait!》 You screamed suddenly and the colonel stopped instantly 《We don't know what it is exactly, but better not to touch that directly. It could be poisonous or whatever they needed to keep their prey at bay.》

Your uncertain and terrified face was enough to convince Eric not to investigate further, maybe because he trusted your medical knowledge, no way he had chosen you specifically for this mission...

Or it was also for this, to put it better.

《You are really talented to be just a physiotherapist. Who knows, maybe you should join the army, you'd be great as a medical officer!》 Colonel King added with a soft smile and you laughed at that, no doubt you were imagining your brother's face to the idea of ​​you, tight in a uniform and with a stick stuck in your ass just like him!

《I studied to be a doctor, but I had the worst chance to learn about blood and trauma stuff...》 You stopped at some point, you didn't want to remember those damn days and not in such a situation 《And honestly, I think I could never do that. I'm tired of all this and war.》

《I'm sorry for this, Y/n, I didn't mean to make you relive unpleasant memories.》 During that, Eric grabbed your hand to cup it between his 《I should never have asked you to come here. I don't want to lose you too.》