⑥_Playing With Fire

Something was wrong. Soon, the silence surrounding the two marines seemed too unusual, almost forced compared to what was hiding in the bowels of the earth. And as they were working on the radio to get it going again, Kolchek turned towards the entrance of the temple with a suspicious look.

As he thought, the situation seemed to have calmed down...maybe too much.

《I'll go check inside, stay on guard for anythin'.》 The cap man said clearly before leaving Nick alone and heading for the stairs, with the hope that everything was okay, that you were okay, alone with those two men.

Hell, why he hadn't listened Nicky's advice and let him go take a look just few minutes earlier, because he couldn't help but be inexplicably tense...

And he was right, because when Jason reached the archaeologists' camp, he noticed there was no one left but Colonel King's body on the ground.

《Fuck— can you hear me sir?!》 He yelled into Eric's ear before rescuing him, checking if his breathing was regular and luckily, it was, but the blood on his head made him guess that he had been knocked out from behind and not so long ago.

《L-Lieutenant...》 Right there, the blond man replied with a trembling voice and still hazy vision 《Y/n...she was...》

Sure, Eric couldn't know where you were, but he remembered perfectly well that he was arguing with you and about his unforgivable behavior, before everything went dark so suddenly.

《It's all my fault, I shouldn't have–》

《You're gonna spare the confession for later colonel, when we get out of this shit hole...okay?》 Although he was holding back his own emotions about it, Kolchek decided to let them go and focus on his mission, even if it meant helping out his hateful boss; Eric didn't say anything and just let himself be helped to get back on his feet, in the most proud way possible.

You were right, after all. They couldn't survive without him.

• • •

It was pure madness.

Nothing was going the way it was supposed to and from the moment your hands were tied together, you knew things were only going to get worse...and all because you easily believed one of them.

How stupid you have been, Y/n...

You suddenly looked down, staring at the ground beneath your feet and ignoring the voices of your captors, who were talking to each other. Or arguing, to put it better, just that it was difficult for you to understand what they were talking about, but it was evident the problem was you.

[Look, she's about to burst into tears. Pathetic.] Just then, you heard the older Iraqi laugh repeatedly, as Salim grumbled behind your back, not really happy with that; although he had talked to Dar about the presence of the demons, he didn't believe it, of course, and now his goal seemed to make fun of a poor, and weak American...

Or so it seemed until you slowly looked up, staring with intense eyes at the hateful one and Captain Basri raised an eyebrow in response, with equal contempt before rudely grabbing your shirt collar.

[Hey! Who do you think you are dealing with, you ugly—]

Suddenly, a spit of saliva came out of your mouth and landed right on the uniform of the Iraqi, who looked at you with a firm, but murderous expression. On the contrary, you smiled badly with full dimples, not really caring if you would piss him off, actually this was your intention.