⑦_Staying Human

Dar was tired of Salim. Not only he wanted to convince him of the existence of some "demons", but also seeing him scrambling to keep a foolish American safe...by now, no excuse would have been enough to not send him home, deprived of military rank.

[Rest assured that you'll regret this behavior of yours, Salim.] The Iraqi Captain barked at his subordinate in a contemptuous tone and without turning to look the other in the eye, as he walked [Don't think you'll get away with it so easily...]

But contrary to it, Salim didn't seem to fear his words, at least not as much as that terrible place.

[I'll take my responsibilities without saying anything, sir.] He replied, still holding Dar's AKM in his hands just to keep him quiet [But for now, just listen to me and think about how to get out of here. Alive.]

Sure, Basri said nothing more but his hostility towards his friend was more than evident and sooner or later, it would break out. He just had to wait the right opportunity to make him pay for insulting him like this...

Meanwhile, his footsteps stopped as a big and closed door appeared before him; Salim suggested pushing together to open it, when suddenly the clicks of rifles behind immobilized the soldiers on the spot.

There, the Iraqi Lieutenant recognized the voice of the American Colonel, obviously ordering them to lower their weapons and so he did, throwing the gun at his feet and raising his hands in the air, as he turned towards the newly arrived group. Instinctively, his eyes immediately found you behind your brother's back and smiled internally to know you were okay.

When you saw Salim a few meters from you, you were forced to hold your breath, as your whole team was ready to shoot him at any moment...and for once, you wished you had the strength to stop the war that still existed in their hearts.

《I say we drill these sorry looking motherfuckers...》 You heard Jason speaking impulsively as he kept the gun pointed at the Iraqis, but his eye fixed on Salim.

《Make the call, Colonel.》 Nick intervened when he noticed Eric's long silence, as if his team leader was unsure what to do...

But the truth was, he knew perfectly well what to do to take revenge on his enemies, as well as keeping his authority high.

《Tie them up, we cannot take any more risks.》

Of course, that decision left you totally stunned and once again, you were forced to see your team treat those soldiers in an inhuman way, without considering the creatures still chasing you.

《T-this is insane, don't you understand what kind of situation we got into? There's no time for this now!》 You protested in disagreement, getting the attention you wanted and a bad look from your brother.

《We don't need their help Y/n, don't forget what they did to us a few hours ago.》 Jason answered in a serious tone and carelessly, he started to tie Salim's wrists 《Don't forget who dragged us into this fuckin' hell!》

In a way, you wanted to intervene and save the situation but the Iraqi shook his head at you, as if that were a completely useless thing; and while Nick was busy keeping Dar at bay, Eric asked you and Rachel to force the door and so you did, pushing as hard as you could.

《You know, I couldn't help but notice something before, between you and that soldier.》 Suddenly, the other woman's voice broke your concentration 《If I remember correctly, you called him by name...I can't believe you fell lower than this shit, Dr. Kolchek.》

Hell, your hands and forehead couldn't stop sweating when you heard Rachel say that, just like your heart couldn't stop beating at the idea that she might say or do something to hurt Salim...right there, you thought about what he had said to you and in particular, the words in his language stayed in your mind for a while; sure, Rachel would certainly have known what they meant, but for some reason, there was something inside you which prompted you to not reveal them to her. In fact, you swore his deep, calm voice gave you more than comfort...