Chapter 7 (Part 1)

I clenched my Jaw tight when another itch flared to life on my neck. My grip tightened on the handle of the side table that I had been busy inspecting for weapons or surveillance devices when the sensation reminded me of what was happening just below me. So far, I hadn't found much, but what I did find was enough. In the spines of one of the books on the bookshelf was a camera lens hidden in the lettering. It couldn't be the only one. I was sure there were more hidden around the spaciousness room.

While I continued to search the room, I kept my fingers crossed in hopes that they weren't watching my suspicious moves through the lens I had discovered. Or any that I hadn't. At the least, I hoped they just assumed I was looking for weapons, which I was also keeping an eye out for, or escape. If they thought I had fallen for the false privacy they were trying to trick me with. Then it would make tricking them easier. I could orchestrate my actions in this room carefully to put them into their own false sense of security.

A shiver made its way through my body making goosebumps rise on my skin. I couldn't help but pause until the sensation passed. Ignoring the brief discomfort with a shake of my head, I moved on to search the other side table.

I hissed silently when it shut a little too hard after my exploration, adding to the frustration of finding nothing once again.

I just knew there was more. There had to be. If only I had a phone or flashlight to make looking for hidden cameras easier. But of course, they wouldn't give me a possible lifeline

Drawing back, my eyes gave the room another scan, looking for anything I may have missed as I rubbed a hand down my arm, smoothing the material of my oversized hoodie. The soft and worn material had a different lure than the soft brand new ones that filled part of the walk-in closet that I had already combed through with a fine eye. It was filled with a wide array of new clothing, shoes, and accessories, most of which I would never consider wearing. The few items that I may have found myself in if I had nothing else at hand were gathered together in the back corner.

Confident that I had searched most of the room, dissatisfaction still picked at me. Walking over to the door leading into the hall, I paused to listen for movement on the other side. Hearing nothing, I slowly pulled the door open, my eyes darting to the other closed doors as they were revealed. Stepping out, I quietly shut the door behind me as my eyes remained on Alec's shut door. My ears strained to listen for any sounds, but the only noise that reached me was the soft movement of my clothes as I rushed to escape the bedroom doors.

I was only able to take a satisfying breath once I was a few steps down the hallway, past a turn that lead down another hallway and one of the few other closed doors that lined the wall.
When I reached the end of the hall and came to a stop at the top of the stairs, the faint sound of footsteps had me stilling. Soft cries had my shoulders stiffening and rising. When the sound of the door opening at the bottom of the stairs ahead of me reached my ears, I found my feet retreating, carrying me towards the nearest door. I flinched when the door below slammed shut.

The sound of car doors slamming reached my ears as I turned the handle. The engine came to life as disappointment flooded my stomach at finding the door locked. Keeping an ear open, I moved on to the next door. This time I was lucky enough to find one that was unlocked, but unfortunately, it only lead to a small coat closet. One that was empty save for a dusty, brimmed hat that sat on the equally dusty floor.

How old was this place? The last residence I had been imprisoned in was starkly different than this one.

My frustration led to me shutting the door a little too hard for my liking. I paused for a moment to access if my actions drew any attention, but when nothing but silence returned, I decided to make my way towards the hallway I had passed. Maybe it provided another way down to the first floor. One that was more secluded.