Chapter 14 (Part 1)

Alec

I watched her make her way up the stairs, my eyes taking in the sight with more interest than I wanted her to see. She wasn't ready for that. Not yet. All it would do was increase her fear of me.

Still, I took in the sight of her rounder ass making its way up the stairs, unashamed. I wasn't worried about being caught with how hard she was focusing on keeping her eyes from straying toward me. I could see it in the tension lining her body. So, I had no qualms letting my eyes stray. Max and Vince had done well in keeping her fed in our absence, all I was doing was admiring the results of her health.

I wasn't going to let her undo that progress.

Once she disappeared from sight, taking the sole cause for any forced calm I was putting on, I allowed my face to shift and display a fraction of what I was experiencing on the inside; what I had been struggling to hide from Aris moments ago.

Blinding rage.

As it washed over me, I felt a familiar mask fall in place, one that elicited fear. One I was careful to keep Aris from ever witnessing again. I reached for Jace through our mind link. I found little trouble in making the connection. The drugs in his system were almost entirely purged while Aris's body would take a few additional days to eliminate the remainder of the foreign elements.

"Don't go near her. You remind her of her father. I want you to leave the house until I have a better understanding of what we're dealing with."

Though my tone left no room for questioning, that didn't stop Jace from attempting.

"Remind her of- wait, leave? Can't I-"

I cut the connection before he could continue. I was done trying to be civil with him. If he didn't leave on his own by the time I was done feeding Aris, I'd be more than happy to provide my assistance. He may not be happy about it, though. 

Good.

Controlling my strength to keep from snapping the wooden spoon I went to pick up, I stirred the sauce before it could start to burn while reaching into my pocket to get my phone. Unlocking it, I opened my most recent calls and found the name I had been searching for.

Clicking it, a familiar picture that Max had set years ago filled the screen as it began calling. I continued stirring, letting the repetitive motion lull the overwhelming rage I felt inside.

"Alec," Vincent answered after two rings. One too many.

I rose a brow while setting the spoon aside. "No formalities? That new," I remarked, letting the extra ring pass as I reached in the drawer for a pair of tongs. 

It wasn't as important now that Aris was home. Neither was Vincent's lack of address, but this wasn't the first time he hadn't acknowledged my title while speaking to me. I didn't mind, but it indicated a change I wasn't going to let pass without being acknowledged. Not when it depended entirely on where Vincent's loyalties remained. We didn't want another incident to occur such as that with Charles.

"With the way our mates are, we're practically family," Vincent said. "There's no room for formalities with family."

Depended on the family. In the few instances that we had met our blood, formalities were what had helped us make it through the misfortune, even when we barely understood them. They only lasted until there was no one left to feign them for.

Though I had entrusted Vincent with my mate's safety, I wouldn't hesitate to eliminate any threats if anything changed. Even if I did one day come to consider him family. My mate would always come first. I wanted to make sure I made my point clear.