Chapter 18 (Part 1)

My hands gripping the seat tightened as Kiara pulled the car to jerked stop in the parking stall, coming a few centimeters short of hitting the cement wall in front. My palms were slicked with sweat, making it difficult to maintain the firm grip I had been using to keep myself steady ever since the change in plans had occurred. Kiara's excitement was evident on her beaming face and in the way she moved, giddy and enthusiastic. The car under her control reflected it as well, her foot pushing the pedal further while her rushed turns tried to get my head acquainted with the door's window.

I think agreeing to go to the mall had made her day.

"If we still have time after we get you everything you need, we could stop to get our nails done," she practically squealed with excitement, oblivious to my unease that was only growing in the face of her eagerness. "I've never had anyone to get them done with before!" She said as she turned the engine off with the press of an already-manicured nail.

"You don't look like you need them done," I said eyeing the red pointed nail that seemed to have barely grown since she had it last painted.

"It's for the experience, silly," she said, opening her door and beginning to exit." I've never really had friends to do those kinds of things with before."

I wouldn't exactly consider us friends, I thought, knowing better than to air the words.

"What about Luca?" I asked as I got out to join her. "I'm sure he'd love to go with you, you're his fiancé." The words, though painful to say, reminded me why being her friend wouldn't be in my best interest.

Her face tightened. "Yeah," she said stiffly, her eyes avoiding me all of a sudden. "But that's different."

"Is it because of the whole princess thing?" I asked, trying to change the focus to something else as I picked up on her discomfort.

She scoffed, a bit of the tension in her limbs easing with the action as we walked towards the doors leading into the mall. "I'm flattered you would consider me one, but I'm hardly a princess."

My brows began to furrow in confusion. "I thought you and Luca were getting married out of royal obligation?"

Kiara's muscles locked in reaction once again as she opened the door and held it open for me.

"We are," she said as I brushed past, her voice sounding strained. "The deal his brother struck with the Fae is why I was given the title. Otherwise, I would have been executed at birth."

My eyes snapped towards her from the people standing against the railing on the floor above. They widened in shock as I followed her onto the escalator.

Looking back at me, she gave me a grim smile. "They wouldn't have let the Fae king taint the pureblood line or let his bastard live as proof of his infidelity, not unless they had a reason to. The hybrid Kings gave them that reason when they agreed to bring the courts together through a union in exchange for peaceful co-existence. It's the only reason the queen decided to present me as her own instead of killing me as intended."

Meaning, they saved her life. Though what she shared gave me a better idea of who she was, which was vastly different than the woman who had first attacked me, there were no doubts in my mind where her loyalties would lie if it came down to it. Despite the unease she had displayed while discussing her betrothed.

"Why?"

"I already have tainted royal blood ruining through my veins," she shrugged. "They don't have any qualms about tainting it further if it could gain them more power." In the form of an innocent baby.