Chapter 21 (Part 1)

My eyes fluttered open to take in the warm glow of morning as it filtered in through the curtains drawn over the glass wall that looked out over the city. Lying on my side, I could make out a clear orange sky through the gauzy material as the sun rose to start the day. It fit with the morning I had awoken to, one filled with a peaceful stillness that signaled a new beginning. One that threatened to shatter if I moved more than my eyes.

I blinked lazily as I looked around the room before me. My eyes roamed as I savored the comfort surrounding me, not wanting to focus on the cause. I took in and identified everything that I had failed to make out in the dark that had lifted only a few hours ago. It also provided me a reason to continue to ignore the arms wrapped around me and the warmth seeping into me from them and the body at my back.

And how much I didn't mind it. I felt... safe?

What was wrong with me?

Though I may ask myself the question more often than it was healthy, I already knew the answer. Or at least part of it.

Fate had it out for me. I must have done something to tick her off. What else has it done but led me to those most detrimental to me?

And why didn't it seem so bad when it was the man at my back or the two related to him by blood?

Because they were mine. They would never hurt me...

But they had. The insistent voice in my head had conveniently forgotten that little tidbit. It was too focused on the future it believed I could have, falling for their lies while lying in their arms...

Or was I just too focused on the past?

No, the past was fact and an example, the future was open to being misshaped and molded by lies and promises that were created to be broken. Anything to make it look appealing. That's why instead of feeling fear, hate, or violated by what he had done, I was feeling content and thankful. He took away my pain and eased my suffering.

Pain and suffering he was responsible for.

But...

He was also the one who had any control. Over himself and the situation. He used it to not let me take things further than rational me would have liked and complete the bond that the torment was pushing me to. I was thankful that he hadn't done what Simon had and taken what he wanted while I was so vulnerable. He could have completed the bond like my body was pushing me to want to. But he didn't.

And I wanted him to.

A shudder involuntarily made its way down my spine as the realization hit home. I tried to the best of my abilities to suppress it, but I must not have tried hard enough.

Jace's arm shifted in response, tightening around my torso. I stilled. Snapping my eyes shut, I kept my breaths controlled and even, not letting them follow my heart as the time between each harsh beat grew shorter and shorter. If I acted like it was a movement made in sleep, maybe that's what he would take the shudder as. I was sure I didn't sleep as still as a rock, so this wouldn't have been the first shift he felt.

"How long are you going to pretend to be asleep?"

The husky words spoken into my ear had me jerking against Jace's hold.

"Good morning, Princess," he said with a chuckle I felt through our unbudging contact. "Sleep well?"

The teasing tone that his voice held had my face flaming red as everything that had conspired last tonight rushed to the forefront of my thoughts at once. His hands, his mouth, his teeth. Fangs. I wasn't sure if it was embarrassment or need making my face flush.