Chapter 10 (Part 1)

Jace

Confusion twisted my brows when wet warmth trailed along my stomach. Wasn't I wearing a shirt?

I rose my head from the back rest it lay on to look down at the woman who had decided to crawl over my lap. I frowned at the sight of her chasing after dust-laced ambrosia across the planes of my stomach. My jaw clenched and my brows came to gather sharply as my eyes narrowed on the woman as she continued dragging her tongue over my skin. Had she been doing that this whole time?

Shit.

Pushing the woman off me, my frustration grew when I found another woman clinging to my side. Her tongue was also getting well acquainted with the dust and ambrosia clinging to the skin at my neck

I shook my head sharply to clear it once I had finally managed to untangle myself from them and rise. My movements felt sluggish like I was navigating my limbs through syrup as I pushed to my feet. I think I had enough for now. I could barely feel the tips of my fingers as I grabbed my jacket where it lay tossed on an armchair. I must have had more of Jasper's signature cocktail than I thought if I was so unaware of my surroundings. But then again, it was hard to focus on anything else when she fucking entered the damn room. It's why I needed this shit in the first place. To get her out of my head.

It was proving to be harder and harder to do with her physically here to haunt me. The drugs only made her ghost disappear from within my head. I couldn't do anything about the vengeful angel full of fire that started at me with eyes that looked far too innocent for someone who could cut you so deeply. I would have been looking forward to meeting this side we hadn't seen much of, maybe even to adding fuel to her fire, but that was before made one thing crystal clear.

She doesn't want us.

Alec was fooling himself if he thought his bite was going to change that. Especially after he murdered her little boyfriend in front of her eyes.

The boyfriend that had just been inside her moments ago. Fucking her.

Mate.

I shook my head at the insistent thought. Angry surged forth, rekindling the flame of hatred that had formed when my eyes had laid on the sight of her fucking the man that she loved. That part stung more than the physical sight ever did. She loved him. Not any of her three mates, but the human who had traded her in a deal.

We had fucked up, but we were trying to fix it. She knew that. Even if she didn't want that, she couldn't possibly be our mate if she willing fucked another man while the pieces of our souls yearned to be together.

Unprotected.

"Hey-"

Jasper's protests faded into the background as I strode away with the glass vial full of the pure dust he hadn't been able to stop bragging about since I had arrived. I didn't feel bad for stealing it. He probably had plenty more hidden in that jacket of his. I was sure he had a dimensional pocket or two hidden on the inside. It was the only way he could carry around so much contraband.

Pouring a bit out on the back of my hand, I rose I rose the dust to my nose and sniffed it clean, not leaving a crumb of the substance behind. I wasn't going to risk missing any of it when it was so effective in helping me take my mind off the image that had been burned into my retinas two years ago.

The drug did quick work of erasing the past from my eyes and bringing me back to the present. My hand gripped the wall just outside the room as the sudden rush of euphoria left my head feeling light. Taking a moment to let the rush settle into my limbs, I released a breath before stepping further into the hallway. I only made it a few steps before coming to a stop again. My head turned in both directions.