1

"You're being too harsh."

"Harsh? Lei, you're being more childish than your sister!" Her father shook his head as he carried her bag down the stairs.

"I'm not! I don't want to go to a stupid kids' camp where there's bugs, there's horrible food, and worst of all, did I mention? KIDS, dad. There's KIDS. I'm going to die in there!" She said dramatically as she followed him out of the home.

Lei watched him ignore her and place the duffel bag in the back of the car with a huff.

"Lei, I'm sorry if we're making you do this." Her stepmother said apologetically as she walked out of the house with her little sister Naya walking next to her in a stylish camper's outfit.

"Why don't you want to come with me? It'll be so much fun." Naya whined as she raced to her, grasping her hand in hers.

"Naya, I don't want to go to something like that, it'll be fun for you but not for me."

"It can be fun for you too. I'm sure there are other people your age there. Plus, it'll be good for you to get some air." Her stepmother said as she gave her a small smile.

"When have you guys ever seen me get along with people my age?" Lei said quietly as she shook her head.

"You're already signed up as a counselor, Lei. Get in the car." Her father shook his head as he got into the driver's seat.

"I'm sorry Lei. I just didn't want to go by myself." Naya apologized making Lei shake her head.

"It's...whatever, let's just get in the car."

*****

Lei looked out of the window as she listened to music.

The music helped muffle the sounds of Olivia Rodrigo on the radio, courtesy of her sister.

It's not that Lei didn't like listening to her, in fact, some of her songs were in her playlist, it's just that her sister replayed the same song the entire 5-hour-long car ride.

She didn't know how her dad's ears weren't bleeding yet.

But they probably don't mind satisfying whatever Naya would want.

She was the favorite child anyway.

"Why do they need so much protection?" Lei asked quietly as she stared at the giant gates that ran down the long road.

Her stepmother managed to hear her.

"There are a lot of activities out in the open, they need to keep everything closed just in case a kid might run out to the road." She answered as she smiled softly.

Lei nodded her head slowly as she processed the information.

"We're here." Her stepmother announced as she looked at them through the rearview mirror.

Lei would've sighed in relief, but she wasn't very happy to be there.

She took off her headphones and placed them in her bag as her father parked the car in the drop off lane.

She opened the car door with a scrunched nose as she stared through the big open gate.

Naya excitedly followed her out as she practically bounced on her feet.

"Get me my bag! Get me my bag!" Naya repeated as she immediately ran around to the trunk.

"Don't run Naya!" Her mom shook her head as she looked after her in worry.

Lei looked around at the number of trees surrounding them. There were multiple cabins around the perimeter. Some labeled as Art, others labeled as Music, and another labeled as Dining Room.