Chapter 38: Checkmate

"Stay with me." Kodak gripped Minerva's hand in one of his, the other trying to locate a wound on her body.

Poison. I've been poisoned. She couldn't open her mouth without blood threatening to gush up her throat. She could hardly breathe. At first, Minerva hoped to grab the vial in her pocket, but as her body spasmed she knew the task to be impossible.

A couple words to tell Kodak how to save her. A couple words to tell him to run and save himself. It tore her up inside to know she couldn't manage either.

Kodak's fruitless search ended and he watched her fight to live, just as helpless as she was. "Don't die." He held her shaking hands and begged with his eyes. She hadn't noticed before, but tiny flecks of gold floated in the deep pools of blue. "Minerva, please don't die on me," his voice cracked.

In that moment, she wanted to be brave. Instead, she was afraid. Terrified of death and what might meet her in the eternal night.

She'd been a fool. This was the end result of heroism—a slow descent into darkness.

Someone tackled Kodak off her and they tumbled in the dust, a mess of flailing arms and legs.

Something hard was forced between her teeth. "Swallow, Kozakura," a voice ordered.

Minerva's eyes flew open as she choked on the liquid. Kaage calmly checked her pulse and pushed her down when she tried to sit up. "Keep your mouth closed and focus on breathing." He brushed some flyaway hair out of his face. The gold jewel hanging from his ear sparkled as he turned his head. "You have to recover so Shika can kill you again."

Minerva looked in the same direction to find Shika on top of Kodak and holding a knife to his neck.

The Hydro prince's throat bobbed before he opened his mouth to speak.

"Ah! Not a word," Shika growled. The flat of her blade pressed into his flesh. "Don't try to call for help. I'd hate to cut up that handsome face of yours."

"Better make it quick, Shika." Kaage took out a handkerchief and wiped the sweat and grime from Minerva's face. "We need to get out of here before the birds come flocking."

"No!" Minerva tried to stand but collapsed in a coughing fit. Blood speckled the ground. "Don't ... kill him," she wheezed.

"Are you serious?" Shika exclaimed.

Kaage sat Minerva back down and took her pulse again. He clucked his tongue like Nola and slapped some soggy leaves over the scratch on her shoulder. "Hold that there. It'll draw out the rest of the poison," he mumbled.

Minerva obliged him. "I almost died seconds ago. Of course I'm being serious," she said to Shika.

"Ugh, fine." Shika pulled her knife away and kicked Kodak's leg. "Get up, pretty boy. You get to live ... for now." She stomped over to Kaage, twirling her dagger faster than the eye could follow. "Will she be able to walk?"

"Not well. We don't have other options though," Kaage said. He sounded winded, as if they'd raced all the way here.

"I can carry her."

They all looked at Kodak, who dusted off and rubbed his throat.

"Who in Ash's name do you think you are?" Shika demanded, brown eyes glimmering beneath her choppy bangs. Another knife appeared in her offhand.

Flame save us from Shika's temper. Minerva held her hand out to Kodak. With a wary glance in Shika's direction, he helped her up and onto his back. She still tasted metal in her mouth and spat over her shoulder a couple times. Kodak passed her his water flask.