Chapter 45: Remember Me

Minerva knew when she was beaten, knew it before a single strike was dealt or the first blood spilled on sand. She couldn't fight it anymore than she could halt the sun from rising in the east and setting in the west. Even worse, she knew that at her best, Kovine would still outmatch her by leagues.

The Empress fought one-handed. Her left arm hung slack at her side, the kirukkan encasing it glinting in the sun. "I'd really hoped you'd put up more of a fight," she said.

Minerva winced as she straightened her spine and brought her fists up to her face. Kovine's last punch might have cracked a rib judging from the pain lancing her torso. "I'm still standing ... aren't I?" she wheezed.

With the deafening cries of the audience, she doubted her mother heard her. Blood trickled from her nose, over her lip, and into her mouth. She tasted sweat and metal. At this point, she didn't have a shot at winning. Only the chance at answers kept Minerva on her feet—reeling from pain and spouting blood, but standing.

Kovine swept her foot out in an elegant arc and Minerva hit the gritty sand. She didn't have to make an effort to rise, because Kovine plucked her up by the front of her shirt. Their eyes met and Minerva thought about spitting in the Empress' perfect face. Kovine hadn't even broken a sweat.

Mouth barely moving, the Empress whispered, "Do you deserve mercy? Do you know what mercy is?"

"Put me down," Minerva hissed. Her nails scratched Kovine's hand, but the Empress held her with a solid grip like an iron vise.

"Where did you hear those words?" Kovine's eyes searched her face as if she could read the thoughts written there. "I've heard rumors that you've been asking this question."

Rumors? From where?

"In a dream." Minerva squeezed Kovine's wrist with her hands. "I heard them in a dream."

Kovine shut her eyes, teeth grinding on each other like metal gears. "The Immortals do not know the meaning of mercy." Opening her eyes, she shook Minerva as if she were a stray kitten caught digging in the trash. "Listen to me. You cannot deserve mercy. By definition it can never be deserved. The gods trick you. The gods li—" Kovine choked and dropped Minerva.

The stench of sulfur filled Minerva's nostrils and stung her eyes.

When Kovine coughed, sparks flew from her open mouth. Her fist beat against her chest in an effort to clear her lungs. Minerva had never given credence to the tales of her mother having dragon blood, but she remembered them now. The Empress' eyes appeared to glow red with scales appearing around their edges. It may have only been a trick of the light, because Minerva blinked and they were gone.

Kovine recovered quickly and unleashed a series of punches and kicks. Minerva took up snake stance, staying on the defensive. The Empress would wear her down, but this strategy would buy more time.

"Tell me what went wrong with our family." Minerva grunted from the force of a kick blocked by her forearm. "How can I be free of this curse?"

"I cannot tell you everything," Kovine rasped through her raw throat. Her blows felt lighter, as if she held back from using her full strength.

"Then tell me what you can," Minerva demanded.

Kovine's movements slowed slightly and fell into a predictable pattern and rhythm. Right hook. Left roundhouse. Right head kick. "It's nearly impossible to break free. You can run from it, but Nemesis will catch up with you eventually."

"Nearly. There's a chance then?" Panting from physical exertion, Minerva did her best to keep up with the barrage of attacks. "Did Nemesis destroy our family?"