Chapter 11: Together

855 A.G.M.

3 years before

Rainwater drizzled from the eaves of the rooftops and silver streaks of lightning flashed in the distant sky. Though puddles filled the street and chilling wetness the air, women stood outside the brothels under the protection of brightly colored parasols.

They fluttered their paper fans, coy eyes fixed on Minerva as she walked down the street.

"Hey, pretty girl!" one of them called after her. A revealing lavender robe clung to every curve of her body. "Why don't you come work with us? You're small, but there's market for that too!" The woman giggled, one of her perfectly painted eyebrows arching.

Minerva ignored her.

She hated being on the streets alone. Inside her sleeves, she was sure her knuckles were white from gripping her daggers.

Charna always chose the worst possible haunts and gambling dens. Less chance of having the place turned over by imperial guards, she said.

Imperial guards, my butt, Minerva thought for the hundredth time, she just wants to cheat and the fishier the company, the better.

A dim lantern swung by the wooden sign of a crooked tavern ahead. The Black Lix, Charna's favorite spot to skin unsuspecting players.

"You'd better be here," Minerva grumbled. I'm tired from trudging around in soggy boots and some half-roasted toka's tail in the last place tried to put his hands on me. A smile flickered across her face.

She'd put a knife through his hand then left him howling and trying to unpin it from the wall. Charna hadn't been there, so she'd shown herself out before a bouncer could.

The Black Lix had a guard posted at the door. The awning didn't lean out far enough, so the woman's cloak shoulder showed dark from the damp.

"Identification," she said to Minerva.

Minerva brushed her hood back and let the woman get a good look at her face. A brief flash of pride warmed her chest at getting to show off her newly acquired Kirukkan Dragon markings—three white dots painted beneath each of her eyes.

The guard waved her hand. "Turn your cloak out, weapons left by the door," she said by rote.

Minerva nodded in return. No one actually gave up their weapons. Maybe in the middle or upper rings of the city, but not here.

The door hung off its hinges, scraping deeper into a quarter circle mark on the floor when it opened. Minerva wrinkled her nose at the reek of sweat and alcohol, only somewhat covered up by the questionable smells of food.

She found Charna in the back, past tables of drinking or already passed out men. The female servers would call for a bouncer who'd shoulder and dump them in some corner. If they woke up with clothes on, it'd be considered a mercy.

Minerva took up her post leaning against the far wall, with a clear view of the door and everyone who entered. Charna sat with her back to it, sacrificing safety for lighting. She preferred to be able to see her opponents' faces while keeping her own in the shadows.

She and five other men crouched on the floor. Hands shuffled cards and coin clinked. Minerva didn't know the rules of this particular game, never bothered to learn.

"Can I get you anything, miss?" one of the waitresses asked while balancing a tray on her shoulder.

Minerva crossed her arms. "Do you have any Aeron wine?"