Finding Out

Waking up on the 5th day of being on the 4077th, Chris felt good. He got the chance to get to know the people, he listened to Francis at breakfast about his life outside the army.

Chris didn't even know a life outside all of this. He thought this life was normal until he heard the stories and got his hands on some magazines. He looked for hours at the pictures, beautiful houses with green gardens and happy-looking people, was that the normal way of living? It all seemed familiar somehow, but of course, no memories came through.

But he did notice the rest of the personnel of the 4077th, and he got curious about them. They all seemed to have a life somewhere else, and he wanted to know everything and listened to everyone. He could listen for hours.

Normally he wouldn't dare to seek out other people, but Hawkeye kept saying that he was allowed to ask for things and that he should think for himself. And he was thinking he wanted to know everything about these people and how he could be like them.

They never seemed scared of anything, and he admired that immensely. His life was being controlled by his fear, so much anxiety his body reacted on its own and ran away. And that fear went hand in hand with the panic, which made it impossible to move at all.

His other emotions and feelings got blocked by something he didn't know or could remember. It made him feel helpless and confused. Hawkeye always got a concerned look when that was happening. I get an empty look, he says. I wouldn't know though.

The wounded came early today and the doctors are working in the O.R.

Hawkeye was singing softly and kept joking around, getting a real rise out of Frank, he seemed happy Chris thought.

Chris was again copying some words and letters on the blank pages, he tried to write some sentences but he didn't know enough to write. He understands English better than he could write. He only learned some basic things. But he was having fun copying and wondering what they meant.

“What do you mean it's empty? Get another one.”
Hawkeye said to his assisting nurse.

“It's the last one,” she replied.

Hawkeye got upset by that and went to the supply room. Chris got out of his chair and followed the man, he didn't know why Hawkeye was upset but he wanted it to stop, he wanted to help.

Catching up with the man, Chris grabbed Hawkeye's lab coat. The man never seemed to mind Chris doing that, so Chris tried to touch the man sometimes, mostly to get his attention like now.

Pierce was having an intense conversation with Margeret about the missing supply of hydrocortisone, he knew it was not her fault, the black market was stealing anything they got their hands on. But it made him furious, they would be losing patients this way.

The little hand who grabbed his coat was unexpected but it made Hawkeye's heart burst with affection for the boy. He put his right hand on Chris's head and ruffled his hair, the boy relaxed instantly.

Chris was feeling proud that he could help a little, Hawkeye seemed calmer, so he must be doing something right. And he enjoyed the affection, he started to care for Hawkeye. He wanted the man to be happy all the time.

After that conversation, the doctors decided to go over to Henry's tent. Henry could at least try to call Hammond and get more supplies.

Hawkeye was deep in thought. Sidney should also arrive today, and he was a bit on edge about it. He was curious about Sidney's opinion of the boy. Chris didn't seem to understand a lot, and he hoped it isn't brain damage, he knew the boy had old fractures on his skull, but to get his brain figured out they needed the right equipment that their MASH unit didn't have.