Falling Face Down

Things returned back to normal in the 4077th. Sidney's talk with  Hawkeye must've worked as his nightmares seemed to be stopped, and Chris was very relieved about that. He wished to never see his dad in such a panicked state. It really scared him and he had felt so powerless that he couldn't help his dad feel better.

But he also felt a bit sad. He was always talking to Sidney and his nightmares never stopped. He asked his dad about it because his dad knew everything and the man told him he just had a lot more to process. And Chris felt a little better about it but he still wondered. He didn't want to be weak, most of the men passing through the unit were very strong and it was a bit intimidating. His dad refused to hear Chris call himself weak or stupid, but sometimes he couldn't help himself from thinking it. And on top of that he really wanted to belong and to be normal.

But things weren't all bad as he was overjoyed to be allowed back in post-op, and spent most of his time there when his dad was working. He just loved helping his dad and the patients. A lot of the men just wanted to talk and someone to listen to them and Chris was happy to oblige. He listened for hours and the patients seemed to like that.

Margeret was also in high spirits these days as her fiance would be coming soon to the 4077th and everyone should know about it as she was counting down the days. There wasn't a day going by without her telling everyone about her handsome fiance.

During breakfast Hawkeye invited Chris to play some basketball and the rest of the table wanted to join in. Radar offered to play referee and was running around with his whistle as Klinger dribbled the ball.

Chris loved playing with the adults as they are very competitive with each other. And he could push back as hard as he wanted. He didn't want to appear weak so he tried his very best. His dad tried to block Klinger from his left while Chris tried on the man's right, but of course he was too small and Klinger scored easily.

Francis quickly caught the ball but the Colonel slammed into him grabbing it.

Radar blew his whistle loudly "You fouled him, Colonel!"

The Colonel stood up straight and said. "Radar, you wanna reorganize the entire filing system?"

Radar looked shocked for a second before he turned to the priest and said. "Jump ball!"

"Isn't it unusual for the ref to change his call?" BJ asked as they went back into position. Chris again took a stand to block the Colonel from shooting, not that it would help but he loved it anyway. He never scored unless his dad lifted him or something. He was just really bad at this game, but he didn't care one bit. He was just happy that everyone was having fun.

"Not if he's a corporal." Hawkeye mumbled back.

"Colonel, I believe you're standing on my foot." Francis explained making Chris giggle.

"It's only a friendly game, Father. " the Colonel said.

Radar blew his whistle and the game was on. Chris tried to get the ball but the Colonel easily shoved him off and jumped way higher than him to hit the ball. Chris almost fell flat on his face but his dad steadied him quickly as the rest ran after the ball. The Colonel had possession of the ball again and tried to make a shot as a jeep rode in.

They didn't notice the man stepping out of the jeep as several people tried to wrestle the ball away from the priest, who had claimed it from the Colonel the moment before. Radar whistling loudly but without success.

Chris saw the man walk up to them and he quickly stepped a bit behind his dad to hide, he immediately forgot they were playing a game. The boy looked up to the new man. He had dark hair and a broad chin. He wasn't as handsome as Margaret said but he wasn't ugly either. The man also didn't look mean or angry. Chris sighed, he was just nervous with new people, but it couldn't hurt to be on the safe side.